First commercial offer, advice welcome.

schlickenmeyer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So the head chef at a friends bar / restaurant wants me to do pork butts for her all American themed weekend menu. I have no license, insurance, etc. Nor do I have intention of doing much of this type of work as a newbie.

My assumption is, if I bring my gear there, and assist her by supervising, and either use their butts or she goes with me to costco and she purchases them herself, then all food safety and other problems are covered as she was present and in charge the whole time, even if I am the one who watched the gauge and fed the fire.

How far off base am I?

Thanks in advance!

If she gets all of the meats and you prep in her kitchen and she pays you weather she is there or not the way I see it is you are her employee for the day. You may run into a problem if you get the meats cook and transport them to her.

Thanks, that was kinda my thinking.. I don't want any liability issues for myself, or my friend who owns it. I figure 200F on pork is well past the safe temps, so the food safety risk is low if a clean kitchen is used.

Have not worked that out yet, was just the opening offer to pay me for my time. May take a tab as they will likely give me more than they would if cash.
Also going to be smoking cheese for them.

So you have a NSF smoker to smoke food to be served to the public?

So you have a NSF smoker to smoke food to be served to the public?

Really Kurt, you are the only person ive ever heard of that had to have a NSF smoker to cater or vend with! Just because your HD were idiots that doesnt mean most others are.

Really Kurt, you are the only person ive ever heard of that had to have a NSF smoker to cater or vend with! Just because your HD were idiots that doesnt mean most others are.

He is in Minnesota, I don't think he has a choice.

Also, every vending trailer in Minnesota has to have NSF equipment unless they are vending with the Special event license, 3 events for no more than 10 days total for the year.

Kurt is right! Minnesota seems to be one of the most regulated states that I have heard of when it comes to bbq and the equipment that we are allowed to use. schlickenmeyer is in Minnesota so he better have the right gear or he and the business owner could get into some trouble on this one.

I am going Saturday or Sunday to try to Work out a deal. Trying to shoot for a percentage.

Back