Orchard Wood

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Recently, I had a discussion with a fellow Brethren talking about fruit woods, and we were talking about where to find. My buddy had stated that he wouldn't get his wood from a working orchard as these trees are regularly sprayed with pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides. Are any of you like minded, or have any input on this matter?

So does he eat fruit from these orchards? I wouldn't worry about the pesticides. They degrade over time. That is why the need to be reapplied. If the wood is well seasoned there should be very little residue to worry about.

Give me a break! Now I have to look for organic fruit wood! I better get out my hazmat suit if I want to walk through an orchard.

Absolutely don't use any of that wood. Send it all to me, especially if it is pecan. I will dispose of it properly so nobody gets poisoned.

So, where would fruit wood come from, if not a working orchard? Does anyone grow fruit trees to cut up for smoke wood?

It seems to me that any fruit wood you buy is bound to come from commercial orchards.

CD

Do we have anyone with solid facts/evidence on this topic?

I'm not going to swing either way on the topic, but I also have a 1 year old daughter and would like to know more when it comes to this, as she is (and will be) fed Q for many, many years to come.

Oh NO, My offset is infested with pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides.
Damn apple wood. :mad2:

I have been getting most of my wood from wild trees (cherry, hickory), ornamentals in neighborhoods, or abandoned orchards (peach, pecan, and apple). I do buy into the degradation over time theory, but just don't know enough about the subject.

If you know any loggers or that go to your church, they have a wealth of info on getting wood. Someone that hunts usually wants certain trees cut off their hunting club. We have several hickories and oaks fall on our hunting club roads every year.

I sent a question to Iowa State Extension's Horticulture department. I'll post the results if they can find any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I grew up on an almond farm. We've used almond wood as a source for heat and flavor for as long as I can remember. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with me or any of my family members, although I'm sure some folks would disagree!

Matt

im pretty sure most trees have bark that protects the wood from any chemicals

I live adjacent to an apple orchard and get wood from there all the time. I get mine from the piles of trimmings and/or storm damage. I never gave pesticides a lot of thought, but I'd agree that if they didn't degrade over time, they wouldn't have to spray regularly to reapply it.

I also agree that most fruitwoods these days come from some large orchard. Noone raises fruit trees for the wood!

I guess the question should be more about best practices for the best product possible. What is actually sprayed, and does it have health/taste impact?

BUMP and thanks pyle for trying to get some real info.
Hate to say it but the a lot of relies are on par of what the teenagers write on my damn car forums...."hey, i drive this and i have no problems" or "BFGs are the best and nothing else compares"
I'm not trying to criticize anyone but as trivial as the subject may seem to some people, others may have valid concerns.

Do I really care that much how bad the wood I use o my food is for me? Somewhat little at this point.....but I'm also almost 1/2 way through this life (if I live long enough to hit 80) and a little crap from smoke on my food is nothing compared to what I have been exposed to already.
But, mentioning my little one again, the kiddo's only 1 year old, and as little as smoked food may affect her for the foreseeable future I'd rather not "add fuel to the fire" if there is no reason to.
Hope ya'll understand.

PS:
You, in Cliffwood Beach, where'd u get real wood from - drift?
:p

I was a chemical soldier in the army. I learned there are a few ways to drive off chemicals. One of the biggest chemicals used is Diazinon an active ingredient in a lot of nerve agents (and insecticides in WAY LOWER doses), fire (high heat) neutralizes it. Having said that, even though high heat kills it, vapor inhalation is the best way to get chemical absorption in enemy troops.

Take that as you will.

...and I guess this is exactly what we want to determine.

Assuming that the smoking wood we use has ........ (makes no diff @ this point) percentage of human introduced chemicals, what kind of health hazard, if any, do we introduce to ourselves while consuming foods smoked with aforementioned wood.

PS:
Home you dont use that "i used to be a chemical soldier" line when you talk to chicks @ the bar/etc.......I can only imagine how their eyes start to glow.
;)

PS:
Home you dont use that "i used to be a chemical soldier" line when you talk to chicks @ the bar/etc.......I can only imagine how their eyes start to glow.
;)

I'm married, and I got better game than that, if you're wondering.

And if the eyes glow, run away.

Back