View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
SQWIB
On the road to being a farker

Temp Variance Update

Here's an update posted on my website.

WEBSITE

Update 9/01/10.

I was a bit unhappy with the most recent cook, I was getting an average of 70 degree difference from left to right, sometimes peaking to a 90 degree difference, this was unacceptable. I did not realize the difference was so great until my cook last weekend.
I tried Fire management and that had no effect.

The top of the firebox was getting hammered with heat and 6" of the firebox is inside the smoke chamber.
There is definitely a lot of convection going on.

Here is how I fixed the problem.
The Green represents the top of the firebox that is inside the smoke chamber, the Blue represents the reverse flow plate and the Red represents the baffle plates installed to reduce the heat from hammering the top of the firebox, causing excessive radiant heat.

CLICK ON THE ABOVE DRAWING FOR THE TEMPERATURE TEST RESULTS

Now I am getting an average 23 degree difference. I most likely could get it closer, but like the idea of being able to my ribs and butts together, I usually do ribs at 215-225 and Butts at 240-250

Last cook I was averaging 15 degree variation in temps, Heat recovery is about 3 minutes if the smoke chamber lid is opened more than 15 seconds. Its almost immediate if opened under a minute.

TEMP TEST 2 LINK

Last edited by SQWIB; 10-04-2010 at 11:55 AM..
SQWIB is offline   Reply With Quote