Quick hog roast catering question

Dr_KY

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Folks I was contacted today by the Business Support Officer in our city to do a hog roast middle of next week.

I made contact with them two months ago to announce our services as they promote several events year around in our town center. They would like a price urgently on doing a hog roast ( It's ok with them to do joints of pork rather then a full hog) and they are expecting 200-250 people.

A pork leg cost me about 20.00 each
Box of 48 4" rolls run 8.50
Apple sauce and stuffing is cheap but I don't have an exact price.

Can any of you give me a bit of direction on what to charge?

I'd hit them for $14.99 per which would include two sides, roles, and plastic ware.

You can also do a 100 lb er or whatever your capacity is and compliment the rest with pulled pork.

JeffandJulieThayerpics003-1.jpg

JeffandJulieThayerpics026.jpg

Hoggin!!!!!!

Thank you BBS, thank you sir!

Received the confirmation email a few moments ago..

Good Morning Dr. Sweetsmoke, your quote seems expectable, could you please give me a call to clarify details.
If you cannot reach me on my landline please contact me on my mobile.

Thanks in advance
#############

:p:p:p

I'd hit them for $14.99 per which would include two sides, roles, and plastic ware.

You can also do a 100 lb er or whatever your capacity is and compliment the rest with pulled pork.

JeffandJulieThayerpics003-1.jpg

JeffandJulieThayerpics026.jpg
thats a fine lookin meal there bbs!!! how big was that pig before you smoked his butt ? ive got 3 right now 1 i want to do in august in the ground other 2 go into freezer this fall.

How many folks will working with you on this job?

How much time will it take to prep and cook and serve?

Figure out how much money you need to make per day and how many days of your time it will take to complete the job. Many folks do not take into consideration the wear and tear on their pits. All of that needs to be taken into consideration when doing these events.

What is the going rate in your area for catering per plate?

Job done!

Although we bid the job to where we didn't make huge profits we still came out ahead. I paid my helpers in meat rather then cash. BONUS!!

The deal was we would do a hog roast using joints rather then a pig for a set price and the organizers would then have someone with us to charge and collect for each roll served. This worked out better for us then if we were to have invested and sold on our own.

Everyone was very happy with the food so that's a bonus in fact I had HD show up and do an on site inspect right out in the open in front of the public and the event organizers. As expected we passed with flying colors and feel it was a credit and bonus to us to have been spot checked in the public eye. Great thing is the organizers of the event set up ALL vending and events in and around the city so we hope we have earned some brownie points and are looked at first when catering is needed.

2h6zy1l.jpg

We were set up next to the mobile bar. :cool:

b67pub.jpg

Yes we used some of the good stuff!
124alie.jpg

I love mobile bars. Wouldn't it be nice if instead of that stupid ice cream truck we could get mobile bars driving around playing tunes?

BTW - Congrats!

thats a fine lookin meal there bbs!!! how big was that pig before you smoked his butt ? ive got 3 right now 1 i want to do in august in the ground other 2 go into freezer this fall.

That was a 49 lber if my memory serves me correct. Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks and thank you for the advice. We sent out the invoice today.

BTW we recieved a call today to do an event in the city this and next weekend but we are already booked. :(

Back