From last weekend's cook

VitaminQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Here are some pics from my Labor Day weekend cook. I fired up the WSM on Sunday after church and cooked some beef short ribs, two chickens, and some stuffed mini-fatties. I used some mozzarella string cheese and molded the sausage around it. They were pretty good! This was my first time cooking beef ribs of any ilk (and I think my first time eating beef ribs, too). They could have used some more time in the cooker, I think. I cooked them at about 235 for two hours, then foiled for 45 mins. I then took them out of the foil to glaze them. At this point, they were pulled back off the bone quite a bit, and the wife was clamoring for supper, so I took them off. They were good, but sticking to the bone just a liiiiiiiiitle too much.
I glazed them with a concoction I dreamed up which included some American Spoon Ginger Plum grilling sauce. This stuff is stout, and I don't much like it by itself, so I added some grape jelly, Sriracha, soy sauce, lime juice and garlic. It was still pretty strong, and I almost threw it out. I went ahead and glazed the ribs anyway, and it ended up working really well. I wish I could remember the quantities I used in making that!
On Monday, I used the chickens to make an adovada which we had in soft tacos. Most excellent!
The pics:

Attachments

• Beef short ribs.jpg
    Beef short ribs.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 59
  • Chickies.jpg
    Chickies.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 59
  • .jpg
    .jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Chicken Adovada.jpg
    Chicken Adovada.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 59
  • How I Roll.jpg
    How I Roll.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 59
... looks darned good, but this is another 'beef rib' post that has me scratching my head. I want to do one soon but, without other advice, would tend to go low and slow like pork ribs .... meaning something like 4 hours or more. What difference do you think that would have made ?? ... just more tender or more taste as well ?

The chicken looks great!

Looks good Shohn. Good lookin helper there by the grill.

Q_Egg said:
... but this is another 'beef rib' post that has me scratching my head. I want to do one soon but, without other advice, would tend to go low and slow like pork ribs ....
Treat them like brisket if they're big here is some beef back ribs I smoked like full spares. They came out really good, but could have cooked longer. They're fatty, but good.

Attachments

• Beef Ribs.JPG
    Beef Ribs.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 51
Thanks, fellas!

Yeah, those ribs just needed more time. Like I said, they had good flavor, and the glaze worked well, but another hour or so would have gone a long way. They weren't very big, so I think the brisket treatment would have been overkill (and they weren't a slab so, yeah, that too).

.... the 'brisket' comment seems to fit. I will try that approach and hope it cooks everything down to something close to burnt ends ..... well, maybe not that far!

Thanks,

Good looking eats.

Gotta love Basset Hounds. I had one for may years. What a great dog.

thillin said:
Treat them like brisket...
Not that I've done too many beef ribs, but this approach has worked well for me. I season them like a brisket (though not as heavily) and sauce 'em that way too. I couldn't tell you how long they cooked as I relied solely on the toothpick test to tell me when they were done. It's a good thing the toothpick don't lie because last time I did beef ribs, I cracked my first beer before I filled my chimney, ran out shortly thereafter and had to switch to Lynchburg Lemonades. The chef was pretty well done by the time the ribs were. :wink:

Oh, good looking grub Shohn!

Last edited:
Back