What If Friends And Family Judged Your Q by you Comp Wares...

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
When Friends Stop By And Sample Your Q...

All of our comps have ben fairly close to home so far. This leads to friends stopping by and sampling our food after turn ins, and we are more than happy for them to do so.

Her is my question. Does it bother you at all when its a friend who has never tried your BBQ before, and this bland syrupy competition crap with no real bark?(personal opinion even the stuff that wins) I don't lose any sleep over it, I would just prefer a person's first impression of something that they think I'm supposed to be good at to be th kind of Q that I would serve them in my back yard.

Anybody else feel the same?

If they have never eaten at your house, they are acquaintances.

Secondly, our team cooked for about 60 of our closest friends yesterday and we did everything except the very last steps on all four meats. No complaints. Lots of foodgasms though.

Doesn't really bother me. I usually explain the difference between what I do at a comp and what I do at home. Even newbies appreciate the explanation. A few times, those that have eaten from my backyard before coming to a comp have commented they prefer the backyard product. My response is generally, at comps, I cook for the judges, not you. At home, I cook for you and me. They understand pretty quick.

Doesn't really bother me either.

Yesterday afternoon/last night, we had some friends over to eat the Q I had done as a trial for the upcoming PITP comp in Salisbury, MD. Funny, I thought the stuff was not any good (regarding comp style), but everyone else loved it.

EXCEPT, for the chicken. I thought that was our best product. Everyone thought is was "good", but you could tell they thought the brisket, pork and ribs were great.

Most people that have not been to comps, or judged, are not sure about the chicken. In my experience, they want breasts, legs, wings and thighs, grilled with a lot of sauce on at the end.

So, I don't even care what others think think about the product when we are practicing.

wallace

Any chance a mod might want to scratch this thread and merge it with the other one?

I have a lot of FRIENDS whom I have never had over. Not everyone's living situation allows for entertaining.

You misunderstand me and I apologize. I meant to suggest that there are diferent levels of friendship and I would not explain the difference to acquaintances. However, it would not be necessary to explain it to those closest to me.

Q-Dat

Friends are just that, friends.

They will give you feedback at your prompting, but are more likely to lie to spare your feelings than give you good feedback.

Ask strangers and pretend it's your buddies Q.

Dave

Thanks for the replies. Its really not a matter of feedback for me, I just hate thinking that someones first taste of what I cook is something that I hate, whether they think its great or not.

On a scale of "hey this isn't too bad" to "I'd rather eat rotting cat food" how much do you actually hate competition bbq taste wise? Not a loaded question, just want to see how much you actually dislike the bland flavors. Please use any scale you choose. It isn't my 1st choice in bbq flavor either, but the words hate and crap are pretty strong so just wondering. You have me intrigued.

Our competition food is different that what we cook at home, but that's based on personal taste. We give our comp leftovers to friends and family and everyone loves it. We don't eat much of it since we're usually burnt out on BBQ after the first comp of the season :-D

Any chance a mod might want to scratch this thread and merge it with the other one?

Done, but I just happen to be reading the other thread and saw that you had created a duplicate. When you need a mod please use the report post button. That way we will all be notified and whoever is online can take care of it.

On a scale of "hey this isn't too bad" to "I'd rather eat rotting cat food" how much do you actually hate competition bbq taste wise? Not a loaded question, just want to see how much you actually dislike the bland flavors. Please use any scale you choose. It isn't my 1st choice in bbq flavor either, but the words hate and crap are pretty strong so just wondering. You have me intrigued.

With "hey this isn't too bad" being a 1 and rotting cat food being a 10, I would say that my dislike of KCBS style BBQ is about a 7 or 8. Its not a personal thing. I just really don't like it. The only exception is brisket, which so far has not fallen into the syrupy rut that the others have.

I have cooked ribs and scored well with them enough times now to know what type of ribs that most of the judges are looking for. I take one hite of one rib before turn in just to see if I hit the mark and that's it. Even when I feel like I nailed it I think its nasty. Chicken has always been a high scorer for us and I don't like it either. I've never scored high in pork yet, but I have tasted and seen a few that did. Same result.

I know I can't be the only one that wouldn't want people to think that's the kind of Q that I typically make.

When I have friends over and try something out, I want their honest opinion regardless from a comp one bite standpoint. Judging their sample objectively and subjectively. Someone lying about it doesn't help you. Honestly I hate my comp ribs but they do well in events. I love my dry ribs and so does my family and friends but they don't always do so well. It's a 50/50 kinda deal. I also despise the syrupy, throw the food on the Ceiling and watch it stick style of what some kcbs judges think is good BBQ. Simple fix, just don't cook that sanction. It sucks for some geographical locations because that's all that's avaiable

Done, but I just happen to be reading the other thread and saw that you had created a duplicate. When you need a mod please use the report post button. That way we will all be notified and whoever is online can take care of it.

Much thanks Ron. Double posting has happened to me a few times lately. I have no idea what's causing it.

With "hey this isn't too bad" being a 1 and rotting cat food being a 10, I would say that my dislike of KCBS style BBQ is about a 7 or 8. Its not a personal thing. I just really don't like it. The only exception is brisket, which so far has not fallen into the syrupy rut that the others have.

I have cooked ribs and scored well with them enough times now to know what type of ribs that most of the judges are looking for. I take one hite of one rib before turn in just to see if I hit the mark and that's it. Even when I feel like I nailed it I think its nasty. Chicken has always been a high scorer for us and I don't like it either. I've never scored high in pork yet, but I have tasted and seen a few that did. Same result.

I know I can't be the only one that wouldn't want people to think that's the kind of Q that I typically make.

I guess your disliked for most of the categories is the way I feel about brisket. I don't care for simple sliced comp brisket. I do however like it with other stuff like peppers and onions for sandwiches or tacos or in stew.

Do your friends who try the food also say they don't like it? Granted they might not always be honest. If they do like it then it is going to a good home :becky:.

I guess your disliked for most of the categories is the way I feel about brisket. I don't care for simple sliced comp brisket. I do however like it with other stuff like peppers and onions for sandwiches or tacos or in stew.

Do your friends who try the food also say they don't like it? Granted they might not always be honest. If they do like it then it is going to a good home :becky:.

Many of the people who stop by haven't ever had really good BBQ before so they always think its good no matter what.

Strangely enough most of it does not become detestable to me until the sauce goes on. I would be fine with our ribs the way they come off the pit seasoned only with Yardbird. But once that Blues Hog or sweetened up HC goes on, I don't want em. I guess maybe its not so much that the taste is bland. It just seems that way when the sauce overpowers everything. Its just sooooooooo not a meat contest and I think that is very sad.

Back