• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Does anyone use a jaccard on their briskets?

E

Enkidu

I came across a YouTube video the other day of someone using a jaccard on his brisket. If i recall the techniques he used, he covered the brisket with mustard and rub, used the jaccard on the meat side of the flat (i don't think he did so on the point), then reapplied the rub.

I am thinking the reason for doing so had to do with greater penetration of the rub and possibly smoke, and not so much for tenderizing. Anyway, I had never considered doing this before and was wondering if others had tried it and what their experiences (good, bad, or indifferent) had been?

I have used one a few times but couldn't tell a difference so it's gathering dust in some forgotten dark place now.

I know of at least a couple of folks that do use a jacquard on their briskets and swear by it. I do not.

I did this one time when I was experimenting with marinading a brisket. Very slight difference in terms of the marinade getting a bit further under the surface. Never tried it again. I don't see how it could hurt, but you are also creating more places for the brisket's natural juices and fats to leak out of. I used a liquid base marinade. Now, if you used a rub based slurry, that jaccard action might help the slurry make its way further into the meat. I didn't notice much of a difference in tenderness for what it's worth.

Bob

I have tried it and don't see the point. If you cook it right it will be perfect. The jaccard will not make a poorly cooked brisket tender.

I will use one on tri-tip or flatiron steaks when I marinate them. Never thought to use one on a brisket. Not sure that with a piece of meat that thick that you'd be able to make cuts deep enough to have the intended.

Hmmm... from the sounds of it so far, doesn't look worth experimenting with.

Thanks brethren!

You go poking at meat, better put it on the Weber and sear up those holes before it goes in smoke. Please don't over think brisket fire s&p smoke pull when tender rest and eat. I could see it working better for tri tip an flat iron, your not going to cook those for 5+ hours like brisket, just with these thoughts I have gathered not for me:becky:

I havent made very many briskets, but I do use the jaccard on them with good results. Many next time I will do a side by side comparison.

I have never used it on brisket, but I use it on pork butts after a heavy rub has been applied to help push some rub into the meat.

I used to, but that was to help get flavor in. I think injection is a better way to go.

only when I boil brisket...you know to get it tender...gets that water in learned it from that guy that boils the ribs........

Back