• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

contest payout schedule

2Fat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
interesting distribution of prizes

Attachments

• cash-prizes (1).jpg
    cash-prizes (1).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 269
Please tell me that is not what I think it is....Dells contest?

Ok, I found it now on the website...it is the dells contest again:rolleyes:

Do I have this right....2/3 of the KCBS guaranteed $10,000 payout is ribbons, trophy's, and gift certificates? Can they even do that? Tanger is the ripoff mall deal, but what the heck is BP OC?:confused:

Oh and by the way, I will have the wife and daughter along so I will buy all the Tanger gift certicates @ $.25 on the dollar:twisted:

but what the heck is BP OC?:confused:

Oh and by the way, I will have the wife and daughter along so I will buy all the Tanger gift certicates @ $.25 on the dollar:twisted:

Thinking BP is Buffalo Phils--bar/restaurant where it is located and now will raise my offer on the gift certificates to $.275 on the dollar but am reaching my max<bfg>

Do I have this right....2/3 of the KCBS guaranteed $10,000 payout is ribbons, trophy's, and gift certificates? Can they even do that? Tanger is the ripoff mall deal, but what the heck is BP OC?:confused:

The KCBS website has no payout listed. There are a number of contests listed that way. So the KCBS is not making a guarantee. Now if you find an ad in the bullsheet that specifically says $10,000 in cash prizes then you can ask the KCBS to make them honor that. But without an ad then they can do what they want in prize money so long as it totals what was originally advertised and a cook has very little recourse.

If I was going to the contest I'd have an email to all BOD mdmbers out already. Plus I'd phone the KCBS office to complain.

I'm glad now I decided not to go. Anybody that wants to skip the contest can come to Carol's wake instead.

Thanks for the info Ford...here is what is on the website, and the only info available before signup

Over $10,000 in cash prizes will be awarded at the 2010 Dells BBQ Bash. Award Ceremony will be on Saturday at 5pm in the Main Tent.

Perhaps it is cash and its just coming from those sources or something? I doesn't say gift cert's I just made that assumption. I will email Tanya

]Perhaps it is cash and its just coming from those sources or something? I doesn't say gift cert's I just made that assumption. I will email Tanya[/SIZE][/FONT]

We all made the same assumption--and for us it really doesn't matter much as it is only about 50miles from home---and wasn't there something about free beer anyway?<lol>

The website does indeed say $10,000 in cash prizes....but if you go back and look at your application, it says $10,000 in cash & prizes. How important is the distinction? I don't know, but it doesn't make me very happy. Never in a million years did I think we would be potentially competing for BP and Tanger gift cards.

ML

If this is indeed the case, compounded with the other issues, they just as well cancel this thing right now for 2011

Not a chance in hell I will be going back next year. I guess the organizers did NO research before deciding to do this thing. I am seriously contemplating putting a big sign in front of my spot encouraging people to boycott Buffalo Phils.

Well I guess the good news is Mike Lake will be right there. But with the stuff he's been dealing with, I sure wouldn't say sh!t to him and he is a good friend.....

Sorry for you folks. I guess I am real happy I am going to the GAB now. Personally, I'd be asking for my money back.

Well I guess the good news is Mike Lake will be right there. But with the stuff he's been dealing with, I sure wouldn't say sh!t to him and he is a good friend.....

Sorry for you folks. I guess I am real happy I am going to the GAB now. Personally, I'd be asking for my money back.

Scottie, one of the other teams has asked for their money back for what I would consider a legitimate reason and was denied.

Maybe this is normal, but just not disclosed, but I don't recall seeing the "value" of the trophies and ribbons included in the payout amounts.

Joe, let us know what you hear from Tanya. Between keeping key information about the competition hidden until after our money had been received, and now the possible misrepresentation of the prize money (the web site does say $10,000 in cash. I have a screen cap of it in case they try to change it), I am strongly considering demanding a refund. If more than half of the payout turns out to be Tangier and Buffalo Phil's certificates they do me no good. The chance of me being up there again to use them are slim and none.

Also, they are counting People's Choice, Dessert and Chili in the total payout? Is that normal?

Wow that is disturbing.
KCBS needs to get a handle on this sort of thing right away or "KCBS Sanctioned" will lose a lot of it's luster.

Maybe this is normal, but just not disclosed, but I don't recall seeing the "value" of the trophies and ribbons included in the payout amounts.
Also, they are counting People's Choice, Dessert and Chili in the total payout? Is that normal?

It's been done, but it's poor practice.

Lesson learned the hard way -- there is absolutely no reason why cooks shouldn't ask for and receive the payout schedule before entry deadlines, and not settle for BS waffling like "total cash and prizes". If an organizer can't or won't do that, it tells you something right there.

The practice won't stop until enough cooks ask the hard questions prior to forking over entry fees, and decline to enter contests that use misleading BS to inflate their true payouts.

Call Karen Walker at the KCBS office. Prize fund totals are generally posted to the KCBS website when they receive the 90-day prize guarantee letter required by the sanctioning agreement. If they've got it and it just hasn't been posted, she can tell you exactly what it states. If that letter's not submitted, all entered teams should email the entire KCBS board ASAFP, as they have a meeting this Wednesday.

Email went off this afternoon...I assume I will get a reply in the morning, I will post it as soon as I get it.

It's been done, but it's poor practice.

Lesson learned the hard way -- there is absolutely no reason why cooks shouldn't ask for and receive the payout schedule before entry deadlines, and not settle for BS waffling like "total cash and prizes". If an organizer can't or won't do that, it tells you something right there.

The practice won't stop until enough cooks ask the hard questions prior to forking over entry fees, and decline to enter contests that use misleading BS to inflate their true payouts.

Call Karen Walker at the KCBS office. Prize fund totals are generally posted to the KCBS website when they receive the 90-day prize guarantee letter required by the sanctioning agreement. If they've got it and it just hasn't been posted, she can tell you exactly what it states. If that letter's not submitted, all entered teams should email the entire KCBS board ASAFP, as they have a meeting this Wednesday.

Apparently there are 62 teams signed up for this fraud. We all need to write emails to the board of directors about this. They posted on their web site months ago: "10,000 in cash prizes" and only four days ago, they change their web site to show an un-readible chart of the "cash/prizes" whereby they have two thirds of the so called cash prize in gift certificates to a discount mall and their local restaurant. This is out right fraud. Those of us who signed up are fools if we take this. Send an email today to KCBS board of directors!!
What, do we need a doctorate in Law to sign up for events and not get screwed??

Send an emal now........a really hacked off Smokin' Scotsmen......

walt

Those of us who signed up are fools if we take this. Send an email today to KCBS board of directors!!
What, do we need a doctorate in Law to sign up for events and not get screwed??

Send an emal now........a really hacked off Smokin' Scotsmen......

walt
I'd probably cut my losses. Entry is only $225. I'm looking at 75 gallons of diesel so that's an additional $225. 1 nite in hotel - $75. Meat $250. Food to eat $50. So entry is only a little over 25% of cost. Stay home and if 20 or 30 did then they'd have egg all over their face and people coming out would say where are all the teams they advertised. Also the community would lose revenue and all those merchants would complain too.

Hopefully some local team that knows these people will try to talk with them. This sounds worse than the overflowing toilets at GR a number of years ago and it nearly killed that contest.

Back