• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Assassin Smoker - Unpacking and Initial Seasoning

We just got ours this week. The thing is unreal. Just one problem though....the assassin sticker was put on very crooked and is full of air bubbles. Other than that she is incredible. Can't wait to season her on st. Patrick's day while sipping on a few Guinness
That's a bummer about the sticker. Can you remove it without messing up the paint?

I wonder if you can order one with the sticker not attached?

Donk

That's a bummer about the sticker. Can you remove it without messing up the paint?

I wonder if you can order one with the sticker not attached?

Donk

I'd call Jeff or Robin. My guess is, and this is a guess, they'll recommend you carefully pull off the old sticker and they'll send you a new one with instructions for properly installing it.

Again, I'm willing to bet a Coke that they won't leave you hanging on this.

Matt and Perfect Rack: Currently I'm about 600 miles from my smoker three states over on Spring Break with the fam. So, I don't know about the guru or the rack spacing. I'll be home tomorrow and check on both those.

Perfect Rack, I was hoping the BBQ guru install was a simple screw together affair - but I did not play with it during my initial seasoning run. I did get it out of the box and look at it, but didn't do that while I was near my Assassin to "see" how it fits on the open ended valve.

Did you figure it out by chance?

We just got ours this week. The thing is unreal. Just one problem though....the assassin sticker was put on very crooked and is full of air bubbles. Other than that she is incredible. Can't wait to season her on st. Patrick's day while sipping on a few Guinness

In all candor, it really does appear to be fairly "robustly" built. I'm hoping I'll be able to get years of smoking from it before I have to repair / retrofit parts. Only time will tell.

Warm the sticker slightly with a heat gun or hair dryer and pull it off. I'm sure they will send you a new one, the best bet for installing the new one is to pull off a narrow strip in the middle of the backer and working it down slowly one side at a time.

Warm the sticker slightly with a heat gun or hair dryer and pull it off. I'm sure they will send you a new one, the best bet for installing the new one is to pull off a narrow strip in the middle of the backer and working it down slowly one side at a time.
Good advice. I also recall if you soak the new sticker in water and dish detergent it will allow you to slide the sticker in place and the film will allow you to smooth out the air bubbles before the glue adheres. It's a shame that such a fine looking cooker seems to have a defect in the sticker!

Donk

We will give him a call for a new sticker. We plan on firing her up tomorrow morning and run her for 8 hours or so to season. Can't wait

We will give him a call for a new sticker. We plan on firing her up tomorrow morning and run her for 8 hours or so to season. Can't wait

Did u figure out the guru fitment? Was it easy to attach / screw together? I'm still a few hundred miles from my Assassin.

great looking smoker-congrats, good luck, and if you get a chance, some feedback on your results would be much appreciated.

I pick mine up Friday. I can't wait!

Jeff is good people and will work his tail off to please the customer. Let's face it, his best advertising is a happy bbqer..

I pick mine up Friday. I can't wait!

Jeff is good people and will work his tail off to please the customer. Let's face it, his best advertising is a happy bbqer..

SBG, I'm liking it so far. Cooked food on it first time yesterday and also first time using the BBQ Guru. Dad gum, they both worked very well and the family and I quickly skarfed (sp?) them drumsticks and thighs down. They were quite tasty indeed.

SBG, after you fire yours up, share your experiences - I'd like to hear what you think of it.

SBG, I'm liking it so far. Cooked food on it first time yesterday and also first time using the BBQ Guru. Dad gum, they both worked very well and the family and I quickly skarfed (sp?) them drumsticks and thighs down. They were quite tasty indeed.

SBG, after you fire yours up, share your experiences - I'd like to hear what you think of it.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm glad to hear you are pleased with yours. That was some sure fine looking chicken in the other thread!

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm glad to hear you are pleased with yours. That was some sure fine looking chicken in the other thread!

SBG, for me the reason I smoke, and the main driver for me, is one thing. BBQ Beef Brisket. So the real test for me will be how well I can do brisket on the Assassin with the Guru during an overnight cook. I simply cannot do the all night smokes on a stick burner any longer.

So I'm hoping I'm successful in my upcoming "test cooks" on brisket.

Back