Assassin Smoker - Final Thoughts

kageryu

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm getting close to making that call about a new smoker, but wanted everyone's opinion on having Jeff put on pneumatic tires. Do you think they are worth it to have them put on or should I just stick with the stock casters? I'm not sure if there is an additional cost or not, but I'm almost sure there is.

Thanks,
Phil

Casters rust even if just in a garage. They are also generally not as large and the larger wheels give you an easier roll. Imagine how you feel when you are pushing a shopping cart through a grocery store and you hit a small pebble.

I am speaking in generalities here though, but tires normally roll easier and last longer.

Where are you going to use it and how often will you move it? My FEC-100 has hard casters and it moves easily on smooth, hard ground, but if I have to move it on rough ground or soft ground it is a pain.

Depends on how you plan to use it. I roll mine in and out of the garage with the stock wheels without an issue.

If you have the money, I certainly don't see a downside to getting the tires though

Last edited:
Last time I talked to Robin they weren't offering the pneumatic tires anymore.

I had the large Assassin with the casters :)sad:...I wish I still had it!). If you're only going to be on smooth surfaces they're ok but I wished I would have had the large tires put on mine. Across the grass was impossible and even on my flagstone porch it was a pain. If it's smooth concrete...no probs! BTW....u will love the Assassin!

I just spoke with Robin about the same thing last week when I placed my order. đź‘Ť I was all ready to have them throw some fancy semi-pneumatic casters on and she talked me out of it. She made it sound like the "performa" casters they are using now would give me no issues rolling across grass, so I'm going with stock. If it's a big deal, I'll swap out later.

Do you know what the additional cost would have been to get the pneumatic tires? It's not that I want to spend more, but if I get the casters and have problems on my grass, I'll kick myself.

-phil

When I spoke with her, she didn't mention. She didn't think it was necessary so I didn't really pursue it. I will probably have them weld on larger caster mounting plates to the legs so I can swap out later if needed; since the pneumatics I was looking at might need larger hole spacing.

I'd be interested to see what she has to say if you ask her.

Unless they have drastically changed the casters.... u will not be able to roll that beast through the grass. Its very heavy. I had to use the plywood from shipping and lay it on my yard and roll it on top of that.

I have the Rebel 23, about the same size and weight. On my concrete patio, the casters were great. On the ground at a comp, awful, so I installed my own 8" wheels. They are not air inflated, just larger diameter hard rubber.

I think that you are getting correct info from everyone. Hard surfaces, the regular wheels work just fine. On grass, not so well. Pneumatic tires have their own issues the possibility of them going flat or tire rot over time. So, determine your usage to decide what tires you need.

You will love the Assassin. I cooked 70lbs of pork butt in mine last Saturday and I'm going to cook another 80lbs this Friday. The smoker performs like a champ.

I think that you are getting correct info from everyone. Hard surfaces, the regular wheels work just fine. On grass, not so well. Pneumatic tires have their own issues the possibility of them going flat or tire rot over time. So, determine your usage to decide what tires you need.

You will love the Assassin. I cooked 70lbs of pork butt in mine last Saturday and I'm going to cook another 80lbs this Friday. The smoker performs like a champ.

Mep, How long do the butts usually take in this smoker. When I use my weber or Horizon, I usually have to let them go for 12+ hours. I'm looking forward to being able to start a shoulder the night before.

-phil

Mep, How long do the butts usually take in this smoker. When I use my weber or Horizon, I usually have to let them go for 12+ hours. I'm looking forward to being able to start a shoulder the night before.

I cooked them at 275 degrees, there were 8 butts I put them on at 9AM and took them out about 5 PM. They were all perfect except for 1 and it just wasn't quite done. I ended up chopping that one in places that it wouldn't pull.

I'm going to make sure that they are all totally done on the cook this Friday. I've had 17 hour cooks in my Assassin when I was only cooking at 225. I didn't even need to add any charcoal. The smoker is great and very easy to use.

Thanks everyone. I think for my needs, I'll go with the pneumatic tires.

I put pneumatic tires on my Backwoods Fat Boy and wish I hadn't! They will go flat and are a pain in the A** to inflate. Definitely get larger wheels but get phenolic or some other kind that you don't need to inflate.

The one I sold a while back would have definitely benefited from some pneumatic wheels.

Back