• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Water Pan for all you eggers and komado people like me.

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I took a 16 inch aluminum pizza pan, light weight not a cooking tray, and crimped the edges with my pipe crimpers and it fits the top of my diverter stone perfect. I have used this one now for weeks and it hold water for smoking like a champ.
004_zps47ee6bae.jpg

since i have never used a water pan in my egg, what is the purpose of it?

thanks in advance.

A water pan stabilizes temperature fluctuations acting like a heat sink, catches drippings, and provides a moist environment for my meat. I believe moisture in meat is closely related to the amount of fat rendered. That being said, I have used a pizza pan and my trusty Costco foil pan with water, and both turned out great Que. I like the foil water pan because the drippings don't burn. Can't go wrong really. Love Kamado kooking.

A water pan stabilizes temperature fluctuations acting like a heat sink, catches drippings, and provides a moist environment for my meat. I believe moisture in meat is closely related to the amount of fat rendered. That being said, I have used a pizza pan and my trusty Costco foil pan with water, and both turned out great Que. I like the foil water pan because the drippings don't burn. Can't go wrong really. Love Kamado kooking.

I agree the water pan makes for a more even heat. The height of this pan works for me better than the foil pans for low and slow smoking, Just sayin......Thanks for lookin!

thanks for the info. i may try a water pan next time.

The ceramic mass of the BGE does a great job of stabilizing temps so I've never seen the need to use a water pan. More mess to clean up.

But, that would make a nice drip pan to sit on top of the plate setter of on the lower grate of a two grate setup.

The ceramic mass of the BGE does a great job of stabilizing temps so I've never seen the need to use a water pan. More mess to clean up.

But, that would make a nice drip pan to sit on top of the plate setter of on the lower grate of a two grate setup.
Being relatively new to this type cooker, I have always used it for keeping the temps even. My vision Kamado is very good at heat retention, but I feel that the water radiates a more even heat across the grill. As the fuel below burns off in different spots the water pan absorbs the heat and evenly distributes it across the cook area. IMHO

I use a pan under the meat to catch the drippings, and I may add a little liquid to it just so the drippings don't burn. Never seemed to need a pan of water to stabilize temps in the Keg.

I like the looks of that. I've never used a water pan in my egg but there are times when I'm going hot an fast that I think it would be a good idea. I know R2Egg2Q uses one in his egg and he might make the best looking brisket I've seen on this site. I've been tempted to try it ever since asking him about it.

I mean seriously, look at this baby.

IMG_3605.jpg

Being relatively new to this type cooker, I have always used it for keeping the temps even. My vision Kamado is very good at heat retention, but I feel that the water radiates a more even heat across the grill. As the fuel below burns off in different spots the water pan absorbs the heat and evenly distributes it across the cook area. IMHO

Makes sense. Maybe that's a difference between the Vision and the Egg. I've never even seen a Vision let alone cooked on one :-D

Back