• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I Might Be An Idiot, Figured I'd Better Share What I Learned...

Thermal Mass

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I happen to catch an episode of "Good Eats" last night. The show was about artichokes.
Long and short, EB had made some herb oil to marinade some chokes.
He then made a comment about not ever making his own garlic olive oil due to a big risk of botulism.

HOLY CRAP! I have been steeping my own garlic in olive oil for some time.
We never go sick and use it fairly quickly, but I found that there are NO warning signs that botulism has developed.

After some research, I found there is merit to what he said.

I realize this may belong in another place but thought it important enough to share in Qtalk, since I may not be the only one.... (sorry if I am wrong)

Anyone else?
Thoughts??

Yes, and it is not widely known. The commercial versions are pasteurized to avoid this issue.

Yeah I only ever make it up 'to order' so I avoid any of the health risks that can arise.
If for whatever reason I have some leftover, I put it in a non air-tight container in the refrigerator, but I'll only save it for a day or three before it's getting used, or thrown away.

He did mention that.
I don't buy what I can typically make better (fresh)...
For me, It will be make and use immediately from now on!

We too ,used to do our own and give it away as gifts.
Read a bit on it a few years back and stopped it.
We are more inclined to make and use fresh as needed as previos mentioned here.

Very interesting post...not something you would normally hear about.

After some wiki-search I was also surprised that that was the reason you should not give a child honey-infant botulism. I had heard that you should not give honey, but I thought it was likely something to do with undeveloped immunity.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried it yet but been meaning too. Now, needless to say, I'm gonna pass on that.

Well, I used to work at a restaurant where for 10+ years bottles of oil with garlic cloves and herbs where placed on tables. The cloves/herbs were changed each week or two. Never had a problem. I've always been suspicious of this health warning.

I used to also but it has been yrs and I think it was that episode that opened my eyes

I had been making it for some time too without incident, never refrigerated and just topped off the bottle just like any other oil...
Garlic is supposed to kill everything, right??
When one entertains guests regularly, no chance is worth getting someone sick.
IMHO.

Done it for years, never had a problem. I'd like to see proof, or I'll continue to write it off as an urban myth. Maybe avoiding certain areas of production, and refrigeration of the oils has saved our lives.... so far

Back