Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Illinois State BBQ Championship, Shannon, IL - July 10-11, 2009

Peteg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Is anyone planning on going to this contest in Shannon, IL? My team the "Smoke Syndicate" is signed up for it. This will be our second contest, looking forward to meeting some of you. Pete G.

There will probably be over 60 teams there. I plan on getting there Thursday night in my normal spot.

Glad to hear you guys will be there. I'll look forward to meeting you both. I've heard nothing but good things about this contest, so it should be fun. Ron, whats your team name?

Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que.

Shannon is a fun competition. Lots of top notch teams come to Shannon including the 10 teams in the Butt-to-Butt competition. Mike and Theresa Lake do a great job and make everyone feel welcome.

Please stop by and introduce yourself of we don't find you first!

The Bavarian BBQ Boys will be back after a years absence. Our favorite contest. See you Thursday.

I really hope we have the resources to make it out for this one next year. I have also heard nothing but great things.

Sent in our form yesterday so we will be there near Reverend Randy, I am trading video editing on site for some CTO tips from the great pontificater

We won't be making this one this year, but a word to those who are doing it for the first time. Be sure you have everything you need! There isn't a lot of nearby shopping! Shannon is an awesome contest! Lots of great teams from all over the country!

Although, last year it seemed a few people found places to buy new EZ-Ups the morning of turn in:wink:

Good luck to all!

Sent in our form yesterday so we will be there near Reverend Randy, I am trading video editing on site for some CTO tips from the great pontificater

Ahhhh... The Rev is back making videos... Huh....

Careful though Kevin, The Rev is known to hang out in rough neighborhoods...

Hey Guys. I haven't gotten permission yet from the boss, but I would love to come out and just witness a bbq competition. I've never been to one before and have really only fired up the smoker about 10 times total. I think it would be a blast and would help out anybody however I could. What are the rules on attending and would anyone mind having a newbie hang around?

Thanks,

Mike

We won't be making this one this year, but a word to those who are doing it for the first time. Be sure you have everything you need! There isn't a lot of nearby shopping! Shannon is an awesome contest! Lots of great teams from all over the country!

Although, last year it seemed a few people found places to buy new EZ-Ups the morning of turn in:wink:

Good luck to all!

We'll miss you! Good point on shopping. There is a Casey's in town for ice, beer and soda, but for anything else you have to go to Freeport (about 30 minutes). There is a Walmart and large grocery stores there.

Hey Guys. I haven't gotten permission yet from the boss, but I would love to come out and just witness a bbq competition. I've never been to one before and have really only fired up the smoker about 10 times total. I think it would be a blast and would help out anybody however I could. What are the rules on attending and would anyone mind having a newbie hang around?

Thanks,

Mike

We'd love to meet you if you can make it, Mike. There really aren't any rules for attending. The public is welcome. Friday night is best for hanging out since the teams aren't as busy (but we still do some prep work and cooking, so if someone isn't available to talk please respect that). Saturday can be very busy, especially after 11:00AM so a lot of teams won't have much time to hang out, but we can usually work in a few minutes depending on each team's cooking schedule.

I'll be rolling in solo Thursday afternoon. My most anticipated contest of the year. If I wasn't the first person signed up... I was close.

How far from Chicago??

Roughly 130 miles from downtown. Either take 90 out to Rockford and then 20 across to Freeport and down to Shannon from there or take 290 to 88 out to Dixon and go north to Shannon from there (or several other routes that take you cross country)

Shannon will be our first official comp. We registered last week, but have not received any additional info yet. Any idea how big the sites are?

The basic sites are 20 x 20 but depending on where you are you may be able to cheat a little in the depth. If you are along the corn field there will be nothing behind you but corn so you have some extra depth at those sites.

Good luck! We will see you there!

Or if you are in Thunderdome aka Shantytown, you take what you need.... :eek:

Back