• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Drumstick Cook

earthling30

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I promised my daughter some more chicken. Today I decided to smoke 18 drumsticks. I could kick myself for not getting any pics while they were on the cooker, the cook went about 30 minutes longer than I had planned, plus we were hungry, I hope you all understand. No matter, I'll do better next time.
All I gotta say is, "KFC eat your heart OUT........." The half on the left has BBQ sauce and the other is without. We had baked beans, tater salad, and toasted spiced bread.

Drumsticks.jpg

Thanks, I don't have a drumstick rack, YET, but I will. As Bamabuzzard suggested to try using lump coal for my next cook. Man it sure was good, nice smokey flavor and I didn't even have to use any wood chunks for smoke. Man oh man what have I been missing. Less ash, more heat, better taste, etc. Can't wait until Father's Day and July 4th.

Did you put a rub on them first or just finish some with sauce? They look great.

Did you put a rub on them first or just finish some with sauce? They look great.
I marinated them for 4 hours in a combination of the following:
Pickle juice
W.Shire/Moore's Marinade
Red Wine Vinaigrette
Apple Juice
Butter Creole
(I didn't have any recipe to follow, just kind of threw it together, didn't have any fresh herbs/spices)

Then once I placed them in the cooker I very generously sprinkled some Soul Food Seasoning and Lemon Pepper all over them. Then I sprayed them every 30 minutes to an hour to them moist with a Apple Cider Vinegar/Apple Juice mixed with various spices. I placed them in the cooker at around 9:30 AM and they were done at 1:30 PM.

I marinated them for 4 hours in a combination of the following:
Pickle juice
W.Shire/Moore's Marinade
Red Wine Vinaigrette
Apple Juice
Butter Creole
(I didn't have any recipe to follow, just kind of threw it together, didn't have any fresh herbs/spices)

Then once I placed them in the cooker I very generously sprinkled some Soul Food Seasoning and Lemon Pepper all over them. Then I sprayed them every 30 minutes to an hour to them moist with a Apple Cider Vinegar/Apple Juice mixed with various spices. I placed them in the cooker at around 9:30 AM and they were done at 1:30 PM.

Pickle juice, huh? That sounds interesting, and GOOD!
I'll have to try that.

Good lookin' legs for sure!

Pickle juice, huh? That sounds interesting, and GOOD!
I'll have to try that.

Good lookin' legs for sure!
Yeah, my co-worker suggested cooking with pickle juice in the oven. I was like the same way also,...."huh?"... I thought it would do good on the grill, plus you don't taste it like you would think. It's kind of like putting mustard on ribs, you don't taste the mustard after their done.

Back