View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirk View Post
What is that side dish with the peas?? I must have recipe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
It's Redhot's Granny's recipe. I asked (Telling her about your compliment of course ), and she said she'd post it here in gtr's thread.
Hey cirk, I typed up my granny's English pea casserole recipe this morning which is something I've been needing to do. It's kind of funny how this recipe came about so let me share.
When my son was young, he hated veggies but loved creamy, cheesy dishes. Granny had a recipe for sweet pea casserole but didn't have quite the right ingredients so she improvised, and the results were fantastic! This became a staple holiday dish in my family and is Shawn's all time favorite holiday side, even to this day (he's 22 now). I'm sure other people make this but to me, it will always be Granny's English pea casserole!

Granny’s English Pea Casserole

4 15 oz. cans Lesueur’s Very Young Small Sweet Peas, drained
2 10.75 oz. cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 large can French fried onions
1 ½ soup cans whole milk *see note
1 ½ - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (other cheeses can be used to change flavor)
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix soup, milk, cheese, ½ can of French fried onions, salt and pepper well in a mixing bowl. Transfer soup mixture to pan you will be cooking in (9x11 or a deep disposable foil pan), add drained peas and fold in gently. Bake for about 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir gently. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. The casserole should be quite thick; you can add more cheese at this time if you want it thicker. Sprinkle top with remaining ½ can French fried onions and bake until onions are lightly browned.
*I used half whole milk, half buttermilk this time and it was better than ever! I have also used heavy whipping cream in place of the milk which makes for a very rich casserole. You can cut this recipe in half if you don't want left overs.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->