Am I The Only One ?

tnfan47

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I understand I'm able to grill a great product on my own grill. That doesn't mean I'm able to do it on every grill. I hate it when family or friends want me to grill/smoke at there place because they experienced an awesome steak or pork at my house. I would feel out of my element if I don't have my Akorn grill and my Maverick. Is it just me or do you get nervous cooking on a grill that's not yours?

I have a Rule Your house your cooking, but I 'am not intimidated by cooking on a strange piece of equipment as I have been asked to cook at different functions where all I needed to supply was skill . It all comes down to heat & meat.

I had a major failure cooking at a friend's house last summer. After a round of golf he suggested we pick up a bunch of steak to have me go back and cook for everyone. He only has a gas grill, but that's fine. I thought.

Well, what I didn't know is that he hasn't used the grill in two years and apparently the burners were almost completely shot. I don't think the thing even hit 300 degrees at the grate. The steaks ended up taking 40 minutes and were just a baked rubbery mess. Just awful.

I would rather not, but "have GrillGrates, will travel":grin: They help a lot setting out temps on a lot of cheap gassers! But will only do it if asked to. I'd be kind of put off if someone wanted to take over at my grill, so wouldn't do it to anyone else

We did a tailgate at a Buffett concert last year before I started chemo. Using a cheap CharBroil mini event grill (with the GrillGrates), had a friend remark it was the most even heating grill he'd ever seen!

I try to be able to cook anything under any circumstances - you just do the best you can with what you got and have a good time with it. Like Bluedawg says - it's comes down to heat and meat. I actually find cooking on other stuff, while it can be challenging, is kinda fun.

I enjoy most times the girlfriend and I are asked over for supper and are basically asked to cook.. :loco: We enjoy though, work well together and know that the meal is probably gonna be better if we are cooking.

I actually get asked quite often to handle the BBQ at family and friends because they know I can cook. I usually don't mind and try not to criticize their equipment to much, maybe some friendly smack. If the equipment has been neglected to the point I don't think it is useable I will offer advice and kindly decline cooking duty. If I know in advance that I will be asked to handle the Q I make sure to bring my Themapen and my favorite tongs maybe a basting brush and sometimes even my Maverick remote. I can usually adapt to any contraption they might have. Like Bluedawg said it's just heat and meat.

I understand I'm able to grill a great product on my own grill. That doesn't mean I'm able to do it on every grill. I hate it when family or friends want me to grill/smoke at there place because they experienced an awesome steak or pork at my house. I would feel out of my element if I don't have my Akorn grill and my Maverick. Is it just me or do you get nervous cooking on a grill that's not yours?

I've cooked on gas and charcoal grills from $30 throw aways to $7,000 commercial units with the fire of the gods and everything in between in my history of doing my tailgate parties and backyard cooking. I am pretty confident in my skill to step in front of any pit that is functional as it is intended to be, ie no broken poorly maintained grills, and put out some good food. That is what makes a pitmaster. The only piece of equipment i feel i really want to have, other than utensils, is a thermapen, I even have a mini keychain one just in case.

To be honest, the only thing that would give me some hesitation would be long cooks with a stick burner as I don't have much experience with that method of live fire cooking. I plan to remedy that next summer with another new pit in that medium.

Have fire will cook, it doesn't matter where it is for me :heh:

Granted, I might not be in my comfort zone, but I work with what I have. Also have to realize that sometimes the tools available might not give you the best results with what you are going for since you aren't 100% familiar with it.

My friends and family know I love to grill/cook, so they don't hesitate to ask me to man the grill during get togethers. I have used all sorts and always turn out the best food I possibly can during. In the end though, it isn't about the food, it is the food, but about the times spent among the people you care about in your life.

A few weeks ago I was visiting a friend in California who just bought an XL Big Green Egg. I've been cooking on BGE's for the past seven years, and on an XL for the past 3. I was 100% sure I knew exactly how to set the thing up for ribs. Placed the damper and vents in the same spot I always use on mine, can came out and checked it after a few hours and the temp was 35 degrees hotter than I normally cook at. Ruined 3 slabs of ribs. Total embarrassment.

So yeah, I completely understand where you are coming from.

It's tougher for me to watch someone ruin food because they have no idea what they're doing. I love it when they hand me the tongs.

I would feel fine cooking on any pit at this point. I couldn't say the same about 2 years ago. I feel more comfortable on my rigs, but I'll cook on anything. But if I'm somewhere else, I don't cook unless I'm asked to like stated above.

The only thing I get nervous about it when someone asks for Med-Well or Well Done. I don't have much experience at all cooking to those temps. I usually just give them medium and they love it more than they have been eating it. I try to convert them to medium or lower.

I've been asked a few times to smoke some ribs and things. Most people don't really have a good set up for easy low and slow cooking. Good thing I have a truck and can thrown my UDS and go.

I agree. I only cook if I'm asked to. I believe it's your house, your grill.

come one!!! you must be kidding? are you like teh Buffalo Bills with lousy road record?

fire is fire....SURE it won;lt be as good with cheap charcoal or crap gas all over everything

but that guys is right, it's not my house, have a beer !

buddy, thanks

I've had some friends on mine ask before. I feel more comfortable with my own grill. You know how it's going to cook, and you don't have the "learners" curve.

Back