New build

MEGAHUNT

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Still a long way to go but seem to be making some progress. I hope the pics upload as I am still very new to the forum process. Did a trial run with two butts today and they turned out pretty good! Cabinets are almost done and charcoal pit is next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 286
Damnit man, I want that truck! I'll trade you a Wrangler on 35's for it! LOL. Mobile ain't but four hours from Birmingham.

Love the smoker. If my Jeep had lower gears I'd say you better watch out because it may end up being pulled away by me one night! LOL.

You gonna put any fryers or stuff around the smoker in the trailers free sections? And the smoker have those diffuser plates at the bottom since the smoke stack is at the same end as the fire box?

Edit**** - Those Mitsubishi Montero wheels on the trailer? Look just like the ones that were on my first car, the mean Montero. Ha.

Yes sir, I have built a three basket fryer and a 1 sack crawfish cooker. Both stainless. I tried to add more pics but I could not make it work. Still working it....dang rookie. Yes, defuser plates are in

Dang right, that is going to be one awesome party machine. Gonna be some good food cooking in Mobile soon. Would love to have some fresh mudbugs and corn right out of that cooker.

Thats looking great. Im sure its going to be super nice once all done

Looks great! Smokers are a fun build!

Looks like you r doing a mighty fine to me !!!!!!!!

^^^^^me too! Welcome to the forum! Happy to see that your firebox looks like it is in proportion to the cook chamber, maybe even a little big (and bigger is better)!

DWF, do you have any pics of your trailer grill? Just looking for anything I might have missed. Been working on this in my mind for a while, so its been a build as I go type process, with a few good friends help. Could not have done this with ot them! I will have a Honda 2000 for any power that is needed with a 12v system as well. After the grill is complete, I will move on to the awning but I do not see the awning in the near future.....I need to stay married at least until my son has moved out and he is only 9 :)

DWF, do you have any pics of your trailer grill? Just looking for anything I might have missed. Been working on this in my mind for a while, so its been a build as I go type process, with a few good friends help. Could not have done this with ot them! I will have a Honda 2000 for any power that is needed with a 12v system as well. After the grill is complete, I will move on to the awning but I do not see the awning in the near future.....I need to stay married at least until my son has moved out and he is only 9 :)
Here is my rig. Starting on the right and going clockwise, the 18"X44" grill w/CI grates; the firebox & 24"X72" smoker and the SS gasser smoker, now essentially converted to an oven (and storage; I store my gas fryer in the lower chamber).
001_zps6ce9c2d4.jpg

Different view, closed up but shows the job box I installed for storage and the prep table with 30"X48" cutting board top. Probably the only thing not obvious is I carry 2@ propane bottles on the front hitch frame.
011_zps80ea4f82.jpg

Note, I'm planning an upgrade to add a third daisy wheel intake to the firebox and I'll be replacing the 2@4 inch exhaust stacks with a single 6 inch in the reverse flow configuration. I use the area under the smoker to store wood when I move away from the farm - enough room for 2 long duration cooks.

Sweet set up. I notice the Gator colors! I have to throw out a Roll Tide. The old saying my Daughter and my money go to Bama! Is your firebox insulated as it sure holds the paint. Thanks again for sharing. I hope mine turns out that nice.

Great set up. Only thing I would want more is some latches to pin the lids down during road travel. Maybe they are there and I just don't see them. Heavy or not, you hit some bumps and they are going to be banging around. Easy fix for potential wear and tear.

Thanks....a good brethen has sent me some latch info so I will have them. I will also have locking latches on the boxes.

Thanks, we like it and the BBQ it makes it pretty darn good.
The firebox is not insulated, if I had it to do over again I would have done an inch or two of insulation. I did line the bottom of the firebox with 1-1/4" thick firebricks, got them from Northern Tool (they are for woodstoves). The paint is deceiving, the pictutres are when its new with only 2 or 3 cooks on it. The paint is VHT that is supposed to handle 2200* - it does not! The firebox and grill where the real heat is has discolored to a yellow-peagreen and is pealing after a year. Later this summer I'm going to do a rennovation to the intakes/exhaust and I'll also sodablast the firebox and grill and just go with a high temp black BBQ paint. Should be able to maintain the color scheme on the cook chamber and rest of the cooker. The blue is just Rustoleum industrial royal blue, its holding up real good.
TuscaloosaQ has been using a new high them primer and paint that looks pretty good. You might want to take a look at a couple of his threads or drop him a PM. Good luck with the rest of your build.
QUOTE=MEGAHUNT;2490526]Sweet set up. I notice the Gator colors! I have to throw out a Roll Tide. The old saying my Daughter and my money go to Bama! Is your firebox insulated as it sure holds the paint. Thanks again for sharing. I hope mine turns out that nice.[/QUOTE]

Back