first time for 80 people 3 meats

nicerackbbqteam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
i have a gig for 80 people coming up next month my qustion is
how much should i buy.. im kinda stumped:rolleyes: iv done partys for 40 people before so i was thinking on buying dubble what i got last time but as i shop to me it seems like alot of meat for 80 people

3 meats picked
tri tip
pulled pork
chicken leg quarters

i get tri -tip in 16lb packers..roughly 5 lage tri tips per sack

pulled pork are 2 bone in butts in a pack

the chickin come in 10lb bags 40lb case

thanks for your help guys

oh this will be delivered in trays and she is a repeat client from last year she was my first

Last edited:
How have your 40 person parties gone? Have you been seriously short or long on food? Is your 80 person gig pretty much the same as far as the mix of men, ladies, and kids?

If the 40 person gigs have been going well and the mix is the same, I'd say that double the groceries should take care of it.

the 40 gigs are goin great... i dont know if iv been short in food i worked with her before for 40 people and she called me back for 80..its is her Husbands birthday party im guessing adults i did mention kids menu but she said she will take care of that...so dubble up from 40x2 in product??

figure pork at 1/3 lb per person, chicken at .7 times nuber of people, beef times 1/3 per person, that is rthe ratio I do in wny.. i have done several parties 125 people min and just a little left over for take home...we just did a party for the crew that did the james Bond movie and they ate very good! 133 in attendance..

I have a few questions:
Are there going to be any side dishes?
Who is supplying side dishes?
If you are delivering the meat-who is setting up the serving table?
What size plates are being used?

I have been catering for over 20 years and see a few problems that might occur. I am not a smart ass or over critical---I would like you to be able to benefit from errors that I have experienced in the past.

This does not sound like a "Catering Job" it sounds like a "Meat Drop Off" job. There is nothing wrong with a "Meat Drop Off" job if that is what you want to do---but be aware of problems.
PROBLEM 1: side dishes are not sufficient for size of party because they pot lucked or had a friend do them or blah blah blah. If anything goes wrong with side dishes then "Nice Rack BBQ" gets badmouthed by all in attendance. People attending the party do not know who supplied what---but they see you and assume it is your fault. CURE FOR PROBLEM 1: When you cater---cater everything--side dishes are your friend and can save you money.

PROBLEM 2: Do not depend on anyone else to control your side dish supply. You are making sure there is enough meat---also make sure there is enough side dishes. Every ounce of beans or coleslaw etc that is consumed saves on meat supply.

PROBLEM 3: Setting up the food line is EXTREMELY important when it comes to catering. In a buffet line all food should be set up according to cost. The higher a food costs---the farther dwn the line you want it to be. I set out plates, silverware, napkins at the head of the table, then usually salad, bread, side dishes then chicken, then pork, and beef last. If meat is set first it becomes an "all you can eat carnivore delight" and you will loose portion control.

PROBLEM 4: Plate size and utensil size will control your serving size. If you have a 4 ounce ladle in your beans most people will eat 4 ounces. If you use Chinet heavy duty-3 compartment plates- the small compartments hold 4 ounces. Guess what-4 ounce ladle-4 ounce compartment--a very high percentage of folks get a four ounce portion. Never put bowls out next to the salad or beans----folks will grab the bowls and fill them with meat.

Now to the meat
I buy 1/2 pound untrimmed tri tip for each person. After trim and cook you will lose 25% or a little more. 1/2 pound equals 8 ounces raw per person--25% loss will put you at a 6ounce serving for each person.

Chicken leg and thigh quarters weigh one pound each---a ten pound bag has 10 pieces in it usually. When supplying three meats---a quarter chicken is too much for one serving. After cooking cut the legs and thighs apart from each other. A ten pound bag will give you 20 servings.

Pork will shrink more than the beef---but I still cook 1/2 pound pork for each person if it a 3 meat plate. Tri Tip is more popular than chiccken or pork.

PM me with any questions----we are here to help each other-----good luck

The largest party I catered was for 200 Firefighters this past October.

The ONE THING I advise is to have too much. NOTHING is worse than to run out. You look like either the unprepared chef or the world's biggest cheapskate.

I know that there's a thing as WAY too much food, but that's not what I'm talking about. The people can always take some home.

Another thing that I do is provide smaller amounts of one or two items that they didn't pay for. This way it showcases it to them for the next time and it makes you memorable to them. Give them more than what they paid for. I did this once with sweet-and-sour meatballs for a FD cook, and now the gig is mine forever. These meatballs are SO EZ to do too...

i was thinking the same thing...is bring a appetizer for free...meats balls sounds good

Simple...I get a fairly large bag of frozen meatballs. Then get equal parts of chili sauce and grape jelly (YES, grape jelly) and mix those 2 together and then put in a pot with the meatballs. Let cook and serve.

Very good taste, but don't tell anyone the secret.

Let me know what they -and you- think

i just want to thank "Chuckwagon bbq" for calling me today and giving me some tips and advice on how to prepre for my up coming catering gig...

thank you

Anyone buying 3# WOG's and cutting them in 1/2 and serving a 1/2 chicken? Dealing with 1/2 chickens is much easier than 1/4 leg and thighs and besides there is always someone who wants a nice breast!

I have a few questions:
Are there going to be any side dishes?
Who is supplying side dishes?
If you are delivering the meat-who is setting up the serving table?
What size plates are being used?

I have been catering for over 20 years and see a few problems that might occur. I am not a smart ass or over critical---I would like you to be able to benefit from errors that I have experienced in the past.

This does not sound like a "Catering Job" it sounds like a "Meat Drop Off" job. There is nothing wrong with a "Meat Drop Off" job if that is what you want to do---but be aware of problems.
PROBLEM 1: side dishes are not sufficient for size of party because they pot lucked or had a friend do them or blah blah blah. If anything goes wrong with side dishes then "Nice Rack BBQ" gets badmouthed by all in attendance. People attending the party do not know who supplied what---but they see you and assume it is your fault. CURE FOR PROBLEM 1: When you cater---cater everything--side dishes are your friend and can save you money.

PROBLEM 2: Do not depend on anyone else to control your side dish supply. You are making sure there is enough meat---also make sure there is enough side dishes. Every ounce of beans or coleslaw etc that is consumed saves on meat supply.

PROBLEM 3: Setting up the food line is EXTREMELY important when it comes to catering. In a buffet line all food should be set up according to cost. The higher a food costs---the farther dwn the line you want it to be. I set out plates, silverware, napkins at the head of the table, then usually salad, bread, side dishes then chicken, then pork, and beef last. If meat is set first it becomes an "all you can eat carnivore delight" and you will loose portion control.

PROBLEM 4: Plate size and utensil size will control your serving size. If you have a 4 ounce ladle in your beans most people will eat 4 ounces. If you use Chinet heavy duty-3 compartment plates- the small compartments hold 4 ounces. Guess what-4 ounce ladle-4 ounce compartment--a very high percentage of folks get a four ounce portion. Never put bowls out next to the salad or beans----folks will grab the bowls and fill them with meat.

Now to the meat
I buy 1/2 pound untrimmed tri tip for each person. After trim and cook you will lose 25% or a little more. 1/2 pound equals 8 ounces raw per person--25% loss will put you at a 6ounce serving for each person.

Chicken leg and thigh quarters weigh one pound each---a ten pound bag has 10 pieces in it usually. When supplying three meats---a quarter chicken is too much for one serving. After cooking cut the legs and thighs apart from each other. A ten pound bag will give you 20 servings.

Pork will shrink more than the beef---but I still cook 1/2 pound pork for each person if it a 3 meat plate. Tri Tip is more popular than chiccken or pork.

PM me with any questions----we are here to help each other-----good luck
Very interesting, brother I like your business model

Often the best advice is the obvious that's never seen until someone else clues you in. And that's just what I got from chuckwagonbbqco. Especially valuable to me: setting up the food lines and plate/utensil advice. Painfully obvious ... now that you told me! Thanks!

Are you charging per person or per tray? If it just a meat drop off then charge per tray, this way you should be able to cook enough.

Bad thing about drop offs has been said, you loose control, and you are responsible for all other food. If someone gets sick YOU get sued. Don't do it that way.

As for the chili and grape jelly, works GREAT but I add some heavy cream to it,makes it a little smoother.

Also you can use the small cocktail franks instead of meatballs.

Back