Xmas Present to myself

Friedturkeyspam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
IMG_0353_zps03a8e992.jpg

Loaded this up from Bellfab on December 23rd and made the grueling 7 mile journey back to my house. 30"D x 4' long cooking chamber, 24"D x 2' long firebox, all 3/8" thick steel. She got a little heavy but had my sons home for the Xmas season to help me wrastle the 1,100 lb beast onto my back patio.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 591
Looks Nice even tho the firebox is on the wrong side.... What size is it?

Looks Nice even tho the firebox is on the wrong side.... What size is it?

Craig Bell built this smoker backwards I guess.

It's a 30" diameter cooking chamber 4 foot long, with a 24" diameter firebox 2 foot long. Both pieces of pipe are 3/8" thick. It's got one large pull out tray for the main, and a half depth full width upper tray. The vent/ash cleanout below the firebox is something he does and it worked pretty well on my first smoke. It's got a butterfly vent on the end also.

All in all I've been pretty happy with it so far. It runs hotter on the end toward the stack past the deflector plate, so that's where I put the 10 lb turkey breast and cooked the 6 racks of ribs toward the cooler firebox side. I'm thinking of adding some kind of plate, maybe with holes to get the heat a little more even and possible shift the hot area a little farther toward the stack. The deflection plate is 19" long, made me feel like I had to keep all the ribs on that side to keep them from getting in the hotter zone.

Anyway, gives me something to work on. It was much easier than my old Bandera as far as fire control. Got to actually burn some wood and didn't have to keep as close an eye on the heat as it ran constant for quite a while comparatively.

Mike

Back