Wasp Nest Pizza

beercuer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I wish for this to be my official entry into the pizza Throw Down.

Chileheads unite! I am pleased to offer this humble representation on our behalf in the pizza throwdown. It's a good thing I am doing this for fun, because man, there are some real contenders. Like that saying from the movie "Major League" goes, when the tough get goin', the goin' get tough!"

I call this my "Wasp Nest Pizza" because of all the Yellow Jackets (tabasco peppers) that are crawling all over it. You'll see in a bit. For now, perhaps you would like to see the build of this nest. First up is my list of ingredients for the sauce. Many times I opt for crushed tomatoes, but tomato sauce works just fine too.

pizza030713_sauceingred_zps15f91324.jpg

Then of course there are the ingredients for the dough. I keep it simple without any added sugar or sweetener. However, I do like to work some crushed oregano into it. Also, I am a huge, huge fan of SAF INSTANT yeast. Ooops, forgot to include the olive oil in the pic. You might notice that I choose to make my dough 100% whole wheat.

pizza030713_doughingred_zpsb69af673.jpg

Next I like to sprinkle my GraniteWare pizza pan with cornmeal.

pizza030713_pancorndust_zpsdfdb183a.jpg

And it's time to roll out the dough (the heavy marble roller is a real blessing). Then I can transfer to the pan, egg wash the crust, and add some Kosher salt to the edge for something reminiscent of a pretzel.

pizza030713_doughrolled_zps8b7faef5.jpg

pizza030713_doughpanwash_zps5cfe79c8.jpg

On go the toppings. Besides the moozarella cheese, there's hard salami (Mmmmm), olives, pimiento peppers, (Had I my red Fresno peppers, I would have gone with those and called them my "invading little red Fire Ants), and lots and lots of dem dar Yellow Jackets (they do present the tongue with a certain sting).

pizza030713_topped_zps9f223e4f.jpg

So let's take it to the pit. I already have it hot and got me hickory starting to smoke in its pouch.

pizza030713_smoker_zps75919a95.jpg

Here goes the process:

pizza030713_start_zps6c927607.jpg

pizza030713_finish_zps8c92a477.jpg

I'd like for this following pic to be the specific pic in the Throw Down for Voting

Can I offer you a slice?

pizza030713_slice_zps4717fb5e.jpg

I would not eat a sinle slice of that 3 or 4 maybe but never a slice:clap:

Last edited:
OH YEAH!!! Tabasco Peppers! Gotta love em. I'd hit a few slices for sure. Thanks for sharing the pron with us!:thumb:

Bob

Man that looks good, I'm starving all of the sudden! :thumb:

My wife told me next time she wants to try whole wheat crust. Care to share your recipe?

Man that looks good, I'm starving all of the sudden! :thumb:

My wife told me next time she wants to try whole wheat crust. Care to share your recipe?

Thank you, Jason!

Surely I will share my recipe. You'll need these ingredients--

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp saf-instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp fine grain salt
1 heaping tsp dry crushed oregano
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 Tbs oil (preferably light olive)

First I should mention, for those who do not know, that instant yeast is quite different from active dry or rapid rise or what have you. It does not require other steps such as proofing the dough, fridging over night, or what have you. Hence this method will appear different, but in my own experience, is my preferred way to go with more pleasing results.

So that said, mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl. Then, add the warm water, mix and knead until all those ingredients get incorporated. Then add the oil. Knead for a total time of 10 minutes. The more you knead, the better the results. (I hand knead mine, and I find it to be a good workout).

You can, if like, as I did, immedietely roll your dough into pizza shape, and let it rise that way in a warm, dark place until it puffs up a good amount, perhaps up to an hour. Top it with your favorites, and nothing wrong with letting it rise for even an hour more before you take it to the Q-- depends on how fluffy and puffy you want your crust.

Some would tell you that adding a beaten egg will give the dough more rise. I've never experienced that. And certainly, you could add a Tbs of some kind of sweetener,... I just prefer a more Italian or French bread approach. And the oregano really takes it up a notch for me, as the flavor is built right into the dough and does not have to rely solely in the sauce. :smile:

Last edited:
Back