• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Coleslaw - NO or very little Mayo

QuietOne

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good tried and proven recipe for coleslaw which uses no mayo/miracle whip (or very little) A recipe that can be out on a in serving bowel for a couple hours.

The one my wife makes uses cabbage, sugar, vinegar and heavy cream. She likes it (and so does her family), I think it's too wet, but it does have a decent flavor. I think she got it off the internet, so google it and I'm sure you will find it.

The good looking one (aka, my wife) says...
1 head of cabbage, shredded or 1 bag of shredded cabbage
1/2 cup fine sugar or equivalenamount of artificial sweetener
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup of vinegar, white or apple cider
dash of salt
Pepper to taste

Mix and let sit in fridge for a few hours before serving to wilt cabbage and blend flavors. Adjust all ingredients to taste, if needed. Stir and serve.

This is a good NC BBQ slaw (red slaw) recipe, it is vinegar based, it will keep damn near forever.

Lexington Style BBQ Slaw (a.k.a. Red Slaw)

1 lb green cabbage
4 tbsp ketchup or BBQ Sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Finely chop or hand grate cabbage. Mix together other ingredients (scaling back seasonings to taste if BBQ sauce is used instead of ketchup), and pour over cabbage. Stir to coat, and chill, covered in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes -- preferably longer to allow flavors to blend.

There is two to try, any more suggestions or favorites, really need a good pulled pork topper that is able to keep well and won't turn off the pork.

just so you know the bbq resturant I worked at didn't cool their potato salad and that was mayo based... had a 4 hour shelf life.. and that was when the HD made up ger rid of it, I would assume the same would hold true for a mayo based slaw...

One I like is from Ugly Dog Saloon in New Orleans. You can google the recipe, I think it has a little mayo, but also molassas and soy sauce and garlic pepper.

Big Mistas coleslaw receipe kicks booty!
for sammies use Marzetti's w/slaw or broco slaw its killer.

NO MAYO! I agree.
One small to medium head cabbage, chopped very fine.
1/2 cup cider vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs oil (Canola or your favorite - Olive oil does leave it's own taste profile though)
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp dried celery
1 tsp celery seed
1 tbs hot sauce.
I've been making this for years.
Note - cabbage only, add other veggies to your own particular taste.

Last edited:
I saw this on "Cooks Country". After you cut the cabbage, put it in a colander, add a little salt and let it set for about an hour. The water in the cabbage will drain out, leaving it crunchy, not so "wet" after it sits for a while. I think texture is what we like with slaw. Add any flavor to enhance the great pork taste.

With my family, coleslaw never had a cream or mayo based dressing. When I first asked how to make it, no one could give be precise measurements.

For a small head of cabbage, I'll generally use one small onion and start with a cup of vinegar for the dressing. You just kind of go by the amount of cabbage and by very much by taste.

Wash and core the cabbage. Slice or quarter the onion and chop with cabbage to desired consistency. Thoroughly salt and pepper the chopped cabbage, tossing occasionally, and place in a colander or roll loosely in a clean towel. Place in the fridge for an hour or two to allow the salt to pull excess moisture from the cabbage.

Salting then resting the chopped cabbage is the secret to keeping it crisp, no matter what style of dressing you use.

Place cabbage in serving bowl and drizzle with enough vegetable oil to coat thoroughly, but not dripping with oil.

In a microwave safe container, add a cup of cider vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar. (More if both it's a large head of cabbage) Heat just enough to dissolve the sugar. Take a bit of the cabbage and dip it lightly into the vinegar and taste it. Add sugar or vinegar until you get a taste you like.

Allow vinegar to cool a bit. Pour the vinegar/sugar over and stir. Depending on the amount of cabbage, you may not need all of the vinegar.
Chill thoroughly before serving.

I'm sorry I can't be more precise with measurements.

Chris

Back