Does anyone sauce their brisket?

In comps I would glaze each slice, maybe, with sauce cut with de-fatted au jus...

At home, sauce is on the side!

Not while it's cooking and rarely when eating it when it's first served. With leftovers and sandwiches I like different sauces.

In general, no. Au jous only.

I have put sauce on slices on a sammy once in a while, but that's cuz I don't like a dry sammy. I'm a condiment guy and sauce seems to work.

I use a mop sauce from the time the bark sets up to when I wrap it.

Beefy Mop Sauce
MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS

2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1/4 cup cider vinegar -:
1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard (I use Colman's)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce

Combine all the ingredients in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar and spices have dissolved. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.

Let the sauce cool to warm or room temperature before basting. Baste or mop your barbecue after it has cooked long enough to set your rub. My rule of thumb is to start basting halfway through the cooking time. I baste whenever I have the cooker open or on the halt partial, or full hour.

Pretty much what Wampus said, I serve an au jus with brisket at the table. Or I will dip the brisket in the au jus an serve on a platter. I offer sauce on the side as some folks just must have it. I use Big Butz sauce for that.

On a sandwich, I use sauce, it just works. I am a condiment guy on sandwiches as well. Although, I do like a nice horseradish sauce on a brisket sandwich too, maybe even more than BBQ sauce

Rarely. I use a heavy salt and pepper rub, so if i do sauce it is so the sauce will take some of the pepper bite off. Like Landarc, on sandwiches is more common, with a couple pickles. I usually use Stubbs original for brisket. It isn't sweet, and i like that with the rub.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Your encroaching tar & feather territory for uttering such things in public.
If you sauce it your trying to hide something.
DSCF0020.jpg

Sauce is a 650 Million Dollar business, lots of people sauce.

I'm a native Texan, we use sauce. Don't buy into all the purist hype, sure it tastes just fine without it when cooked properly, but so do fries. Raise your hand if you eat them without ketchup.

Mueller, Franklin, et. al have sauce at their joints.

Have it, don't serve it on it.

I'm Rasing MY HAND ! French Fries are delivery devices for ingesting Ketchup. How much potato flavor comes through? ZERO zip zilch none no nada it's a cover up for crappy fries. I view sauce on brisket the same way.

I'm Rasing MY HAND ! French Fries are delivery devices for ingesting Ketchup. How much potato flavor comes through? ZERO zip zilch none no nada it's a cover up for crappy fries. I view sauce on brisket the same way.

You can't be concerned about fry flavor when you've stated what is bold above. You've already agreed that they are used for ketchup ingestion.

That being said, your certainly welcome to your opinion, but people eat sauce and they eat it on brisket. AND, they do it in Texas.

They whole "no sauce in Texas" thing wears me out. I serve sauce with my beef, on the side. And I have nothing to hide, trust me.

Last edited:
If Franklin said all brisket should be brushed with esspresso sauce that he makes just for his brisket. I think i'd by stock in esspresso beans.

I do like a little salsita with my bbq ribs or brisket just a little for extra zing.

No Sauce on Briskit here either ... Unless doing left over sammies or something ....Briskit I just cant sauce !!1:blabla::blah::blah::blah:

Back