Boneless Pork Chops

C

cwb22

Just recently got a weber ots the other day and was going to fire it up tonight. Any tips or tricks I might need to know on grilling boneless pork chops? Thanks!

How thick? Keep them away from the flame, Low and Slow or you'll end up with a shoe! Marinate or brine prior to cooking will help in keeping them moist. Good Luck

Maybe 1.5" thick. May just marinate with Italian dressing then

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with a brine, but to be honest they are fine without it. I do mine the same way as Bludawg recommends, a couple minutes each side and then indirect to finish up. I've done reverse sear quite a significant number of times, but I find that the fat on the outside crisps up better when it gets the high heat to start so that is the dealmaker for me. I point that fat towards the heat while it is indirect.:thumb:

I've used Italian dressing as a marinade and find that I like it better if I salt the meat first. At 1.5" thick I suspect you might have loin chops, which are often very quick to dry out because they're so lean (which is why they're also my least favorite chop). Personally I'd cook them to 135, rest them under foil, and let carryover take them to 140 if you're OK with pink pork (per "Dr. BBQ" Ray Lampe 137 is the safety threshold).

Maybe a dumb question but how do you sear?

Cook directly over a hot fire.

Here's what I do for chops, steaks, burgers, etc...

I build a screaming hot fire on one side of the kettle and leave the other side with no fire. Then I put the meat over the coals for a couple of minutes per side to sear and then move the meat to the side without the fire (the indirect side) and let them cook indirect until they hit my desired degree of done, 140 internal for chops.

You can also cook on the indirect side until they hit 120 or so internal and then move to the direct side to sear and bring the finish temp up to 140. This is called a reverse sear.

Cook directly over a hot fire.

I build a screaming hot fire on one side of the kettle and leave the other side with no fire. Then I put the meat over the coals for a couple of minutes per side to sear and then move the meat to the side without the fire (the indirect side) and let them cook indirect until they hit my desired degree of done, 140 internal for chops.

You can also cook on the indirect side until they hit 120 or so internal and then move to the direct side to sear and bring the finish temp up to 140. This is called a reverse sear.
Nice job Ron. I don't have a weber and your explanation was spot on!
A nice welcome to a new fella

Nice job Ron. I don't have a weber and your explanation was spot on!
A nice welcome to a new fella

Thanks! I get good wood on the ball once in a while :-D

(Just in case a whackadoodle has escaped from the Woodpile, that's a baseball reference, not anything else)

Sear them two min a side then indirect until 145 it.

THIS ^^ is exactly the same as THIS.... Ron just used more words is all.

And are both what I like to do.

Boneless chops only really suck when they're overcooked and for ME at least.....that's exactly what I did with them for far too long before I finally learned to throw that whole "pork is not safe to eat until it's cooked to 165 IT" boochit. When the USDA came out and adjusted pork's safe eating temp to 145 (I think it was), they made pork chop eating a WHOLE lot less nerve racking for a lot of us.

Reverse sears are MO perfect I think, but FOR ME, it's easier to overshoot my internal temps on a smaller cut like chops. So it's a quick sear than finish on the cooler side.

Back