Turning your meat

L

lizzydog

I made an ugly drum smoker using instructions and photos from this site. I took it for a test run yesterday. I used 4 half inch pipes for air intake and drilled six three quarter holes in lid. Loaded up 12 pounds of oversized charcoal and one hickory stick. Brought up to 230. I started fire at 12 noon and at 11:30 that night it was still at 230. During the day I played with caping and un caping air intakes. It was like using a control knob on your stove. Now for the question----Is it necessary to turn your meat according to some post I have read? I have not cooked any thing yet and when I do I will post photos. This is a great site and great people for sharing BBQ information.

Thanks ,
lizzydog

I'm glad I found this site, too! Great people. They're going to want to know what it is that you're cooking to help you. How about some pics of your ugly drum?

I appreciate the replies. I read the information about Rockey's method but I was wondering about some of the great cooks on this forum that uses the drum smoker.

i flip when i am more than 50% done with the cook. When doing a butt or brisket i go to at least 140 with the fat side down, then flip until 160ish when i foil.

I appreciate the replies. I read the information about Rockey's method but I was wondering about some of the great cooks on this forum that uses the drum smoker.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here.....but how could you stand having a fire going for 12 hours and not COOK SOMETHING??? Some ribs or a fatty or some links or chicken pieces sure would have made some fine snacks. :mrgreen:

But, back to your question. I can tell you that Rocky's instructions are right on the money. There is not much stuff he has not cooked on a drum. I follow what he says pretty close. Turning included.

Here are some of my cooks from the drum.

collageBDS-1.jpg

Third Eye- you always have great pics!! Makes me feel like I wasted my money on the lunch I had.

I've seen revolving racks, but does anyone use a rotisserie in their smoker?

Thirdeye-----Thanks for the reply. I had two or three other projects going on that day and I wanted to play with temp. control and season inside. I am sure temps. will change with meat on the grill.

i do the same as motley have fun with your uds they cook really good i was going to get a wsm but why this thing is awsome

When I've followed the BDS cooking instructions I've never have had a problem, like thirdeye said there isn't anything that Rockey has not cooked on it and the photos of his cooks and those of BDS users testify to that!

Try experimenting with a small charcoal ring for shorter cooks when you get the chance.

To answer Rusty's question-I'm itching to use my EZ-Que rotis on the drum!!

Brian

Thirdeye-----Thanks for the reply. I had two or three other projects going on that day and I wanted to play with temp. control and season inside. I am sure temps. will change with meat on the grill.

I was just farkin' with you man. I've always figured as long as you got a fire going anyway .....

When I've followed the BDS cooking instructions I've never have had a problem, like thirdeye said there isn't anything that Rockey has not cooked on it and the photos of his cooks and those of BDS users testify to that!

Try experimenting with a small charcoal ring for shorter cooks when you get the chance.

To answer Rusty's question-I'm itching to use my EZ-Que rotis on the drum!!

Brian

Testify, like at a revival ..... Yeah, I like that. Hey, I was visting with Rocky on the phone last week and mentioned a chuck roll, It didn't take much (I was on the edge anyway) but he talked me into barbecuing one. It will be my next new cook.

Oh, speaking of small rings, you mean something like this? It was my 4th BDS mod. Cool set-up for 5 or 6 hour cooks or low, low cooks for salmon.

DSC03114.jpg

Is it necessary to turn your meat?

Congrats on your smoker! Looks like a great job!

I can't tell you what's right and what's wrong . . . I don't even pretend to know much at all . . . BUT - the one thing I can tell you is what I've experienced since I started smoking a little over a year ago.

I've learned that turning meat is just one more time that the cooker opens.

I've learned that my best results seem to come from those times that I severely resist opening the cooker. The more you can do to leave the cooker closed, the better the results. Or at least that's my experience.

Have fun, lizzydog!

I was just farkin' with you man. I've always figured as long as you got a fire going anyway .....

Testify, like at a revival ..... Yeah, I like that. Hey, I was visting with Rocky on the phone last week and mentioned a chuck roll, It didn't take much (I was on the edge anyway) but he talked me into barbecuing one. It will be my next new cook.

Oh, speaking of small rings, you mean something like this? It was my 4th BDS mod. Cool set-up for 5 or 6 hour cooks or low, low cooks for salmon.

DSC03114.jpg

Oh Yeah! Brother thirdeye- upholding the pillars of Big Drum smoking, here on the BBQ Brethren! Can I get an Amen!! Thats what I'm talking about!

100_1717.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1718.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1646.jpg
[/IMG]

I'll dump about a Weber chimney's worth of briqs or lump and it's good for 5+ hours.

Brian

Back