-> BBQ Brethren "One Dish Wonders" (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Please accept my entry in the one pot wonder throwdown

This is a pretty challenging Throwdown and I couldn't pass up an opportunity. My entry is called a low country boil or more affectionately known as Frogmore Stew in southern South Carolina.

I loaded up the tender to the SS Farkenaught.
IMG_0392_zps1a63b755.jpg

I didn't have too many issues morale wise with the crew.
IMG_0395_zps4ecba866.jpg

Being early July, the shrimp are prevalent in eastern NC. We procured and headed 50 pounds of them that were swimming early in the morning of July 3rd. Here are some with the other stars of the show. That being small to medium red potatoes, frozen corn on the cob, and beef kielbasa sausages. The lemons are for flavor as well as a heavy dose of Old Bay, Lemon Pepper, and Cayenne Pepper. I also like to use beer as much as possible for my liquid.

In go the taters.
IMG_0404_zps444d8ba9.jpg

About 10 minutes later add the sausage.
IMG_0403_zps5dd781da.jpg

Give that about 10 and add the corn on the cob.
IMG_0407_zps9d4c6f92.jpg

Another 10 and add the scrimps for about 4 minutes,
IMG_0413_zpsc2eb2266.jpg

Enjoy. Please use this pic as the money shot.
IMG_0415_zps7c17df8d.jpg

This was a lot of effort especially lumping all the equipment needed to do this on our local beach on the river. The food and jams were well worth it.
IMG_0422_zps825e46cc.jpg

Just missed the sunset pic but it was pretty sweet as well. Thanks for looking.
IMG_0423_zpsfd7de4fe.jpg

Superb post tarhog and I love can only imagine how fantastic it tasted out there in the great outdoors. :mrgreen:

Fantastic food, pic's and story tarhog! Looks like y'all nailed a perfect day.

picture.php

Guerry, you might want to reconsider this as your entry shot...just my $.01...

:wink:

OK, you and CD apparently both like that pic so...CD, when you do the vote thread, I'll let you choose the entry pic. Perhaps you'll be better at it than Bigabyte ever was.:shock::roll::mrgreen:

OK, six entries. Step it up y'all! Where's Kathy's green cookies and accompanying dish?

Finished the cook back when but didn't get plate/bowl shots, been running around the last couple of days. Will take the shot today with leftovers before dark for a decent shot and will post the thread tonight. Carol's been eating the cookies, rainy days and falling barometer, you know how that is with severe arthritis...... could sneak a couple in the plate shot, though.....

Finished the cook back when but didn't get plate/bowl shots, been running around the last couple of days. Will take the shot today with leftovers before dark for a decent shot and will post the thread tonight. Carol's been eating the cookies, rainy days and falling barometer, you know how that is with severe arthritis...... could sneak a couple in the plate shot, though.....

You GO Girl! Y'all get WELL!

Official Entry into the "One Dish Wonders" Throwdown.

Please accept my entry titled "George Washington's Pepperpot Soup".

While trying to think of a good one pot meal I could adapt to smoking I remembered Caribbean Pepperpot Soup. Was I surprised to discover this traditional Caribbean dish was a favourite George Washington fed his troops at Valley Forge! I was also surprised to discover Pepperpot Soup was commonly made in and around Philidelphia in the 1700's.

http://atasteofhistory.org/west-indies-pepperpot-soup/

I more or less followed the recipe for ingredients and adapted it to my smoker. I used cassava instead of tarot and collards instead of callaloo because it made shopping easier and closer. I didn't put hot pepper in the soup, just used scotch bonnet pepper sauce in my own bowl because my partner is a wuss. Found this blade roast forgotten in a corner of the freezer, had a little freezer burn but was otherwise okay. It's the last piece of our traditionally raised limousine X angus beef order.

I've only made this soup once before with a bottle of pre-made pepperpot starter and I didn't like the taste (similar to bottles of gravy browning). Not for me. I read this new recipe over and it looked like it would taste good so I gave pepperpot soup a second try. Really glad I did. I used white onions, a small garlic bulb, chopped green onions, cassava, a vegetable bouillon cube, 3 litres of beef stock, 2 bay leaves, dry thyme, allspice, fresh ground pepper, collard greens and salt.

Used the spices as a rub on the meat and reserved what fell off or remained to add to the soup. I needed 4 litres of stock and only had 3 so I smoked the beef in water and was very careful to monitor the water to keep the level up and prevent burning. By dissolving a bouillon cube in hot water and topping the pan juices to one litre I created my 4th litre of stock.

Old charcoal chimney.

New charcoal chimney. :mrgreen:

My cook took longer than anticipated so instead of browning the onions and garlic in the pan on the kamado and adding stock heated on the stove, I added the stock to the pan in the kamado and did a quick onion and garlic sauté in CI on the stove inside. Saved time while remaining within special rules. Added cubed cassava to cook first, followed by chopped collard stems. It was dark by this time and my camera was acting funny when I took pictures of the pan of building soup. Finally realized the shutter was extending release time to make up for the darkness. Not great pictures but they show everything cooking in one pot.

I pulled the beef after smoking and returned it to the building soup. Added the chopped collard leaves last and cooked through until everything was done.

PLEASE USE THE PHOTO BELOW FOR VOTING.

The soup turned out great, I think especially because I smoked and pulled the beef instead of cubing it raw, browning and cooking to tender in the soup. Loved the smokey taste from making it in the kamado and smoking the beef. I think I prefer taro, white or yellow yam to cassava so I will drive a little farther to find it next time. I like the taste of the "made from scratch" version a lot better than the one I made with pepperpot soup starter. Hearty, healthy and delicious, what great fare George Washington found for his cold and hungry troops.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I was up all night making brisket chili. Just finished up.
As I just read the fine print about this throwdown, Im guessing everything needs to be cooked on the grill. My gasser would have provided the same tools I used to cook this brisket chili indoors. Left over brisket from the brisket throwdown. But, rules are rules.:doh: At least it tastes incredible!

Image7_zps0a5552be.jpg

I was up all night making brisket chili. Just finished up.
As I just read the fine print about this throwdown, Im guessing everything needs to be cooked on the grill. My gasser would have provided the same tools I used to cook this brisket chili indoors. Left over brisket from the brisket throwdown. But, rules are rules.:doh: At least it tastes incredible!

Image7_zps0a5552be.jpg

5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

So, you smoked the brisket, yes? And you prepared the chili during the TD time frame, yes? So, a grilled or smoked brisket was PROMINENTLY FEATURED in your BRISKET CHILI, yes? The chili was finally prepared as ONE DISH, yes? So...what's the problem?:becky:

Man things are really looking good around here! I missed so much being away! Great entry's !

5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

So, you smoked the brisket, yes? And you prepared the chili during the TD time frame, yes? So, a grilled or smoked brisket was PROMINENTLY FEATURED in your BRISKET CHILI, yes? The chili was finally prepared as ONE DISH, yes? So...what's the problem?:becky:

Special rules Guerre.

This is from the OP.

So, the entire meal has to be cooked on the grill/smoker in a dish or pan and presented as such. I'll allow bread or chips (If you had say a 7 layer bean dip) as the only sides when plated. We could get anything from gumbos to potroasts, to eggplant parmesan or even paella...

If the OP feels I stayed within the rules I would like to enter my chili in this throwdown. If not, Im OK with the ruling.

As stated before, the only thing that was cooked on the smoker was the brisket.

Special rules Guerre.

This is from the OP.

So, the entire meal has to be cooked on the grill/smoker in a dish or pan and presented as such. I'll allow bread or chips (If you had say a 7 layer bean dip) as the only sides when plated. We could get anything from gumbos to potroasts, to eggplant parmesan or even paella...

If the OP feels I stayed within the rules I would like to enter my chili in this throwdown. If not, Im OK with the ruling.

As stated before, the only thing that was cooked on the smoker was the brisket.

Well, shoot. Pesky little rules. Who was it that said "Let The Voters Decide"?

Back