My new home site about bbq

P

Piedmont

Hi All,

I have been lurking here a long time (since 2004). I just published a home site all about bbq and wanted to share it with you. The page below takes you to the page where I have pics and recipes for brisket that I have made.

I have been on the newsgroup alt.food.barbecue but have tired of the endless trolling and flaming so have looked here to get my Q conversation fix!

http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/discursion.htm

Mike Willsey

Hi Mike--

I remember when you had the msn group you mentioned on the afb. Head over to Cattle Call to introduce yourself. The info that you might share on your site can be shared here, too.

I admire those of you who can put this stuff together on your own! What part of the Piedmont are you located? One time I was down there on business and stopped in a little town called Green Level to pick up a load of hickory in the back of the company van! Drove it all the way back to Ohio! Woody

You, my friend, have an excellent start on a web site that could help MANY. It is looking very professional. When you get all of the meats we BBQ idiots smoke on your web site, detailing the process like with your Brisket, you will have the best BBQ site out there!!!
Smoke On!!!! and Welcome Aboard!!!!!
ed

Welcome Response

backyardchef said:
Hi Mike--

I remember when you had the msn group you mentioned on the afb. Head over to Cattle Call to introduce yourself. The info that you might share on your site can be shared here, too.

The MSN group is still there but I'm not supporting it anymore. It will stay there as long as people continue to visit it. I wanted something more personal and independent then the MSN group.

I sure will post in Cattle Call, thanks!

Reply to Woodman

The Woodman said:
I admire those of you who can put this stuff together on your own! What part of the Piedmont are you located? One time I was down there on business and stopped in a little town called Green Level to pick up a load of hickory in the back of the company van! Drove it all the way back to Ohio! Woody

I'm located in Lancaster County, South Carolina, just south of Charlotte, NC. I bought an old Front Page 98 website program off ebay for $10 plus a few books on FP98 and hacked it out. The website is my 3rd revision with a 4th and probably final revision. But regardless, I will always continue to add more q info as I can!

Nice site Mike! and welcome aboard!

One thing though... the fat cap is on the BOTTOM of the brisket!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Reply to Ed

kickassbbq said:
You, my friend, have an excellent start on a web site that could help MANY. It is looking very professional. When you get all of the meats we BBQ idiots smoke on your web site, detailing the process like with your Brisket, you will have the best BBQ site out there!!!
Smoke On!!!! and Welcome Aboard!!!!!
ed

Thanks for the welcome Ed, I've worked long and hard to put it together. Hope many can benefit from it.

Reply to Thirdeye

thirdeye said:
Hey Mike, Good job on getting the Q site started. What part of Texas do you hail from?

Hey Thirdeye,

I'm in South Carolina. I do have two brothers that live in Dallas. I'm going to visit them for the first time within the year, on the way I hope to side track to Houston to eat at Thelma's Q joint.

I saw on your website you were lookng for q links, your welcome to copy links on my website for your blog spot if you want to! Just go to my site, click on the links you want , then when the link opens up, save it in your bookmarks/favorites to use as you need!

oops!

Jeff_in_KC said:

One thing though... the fat cap is on the BOTTOM of the brisket!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Jeff,

Thanks for the info!

Jeff_in_KC said:

It the top for me!:p

Piedmont, that is a great site. Can't wait to see what you put up about pork butts.

Piedmont said:
Hey Thirdeye,

I'm in South Carolina. I do have two brothers that live in Dallas. I'm going to visit them for the first time within the year, on the way I hope to side track to Houston to eat at Thelma's Q joint....

Man, I saw the brisket essay and the LBJ marinade on your site and just assumed Texas. Can't wait to see some Carolina pig pickin' posts. It is my favorite style of barbecue.

Thanks for the offer on the links. My page is still in the works.

Before you go to Dallas, you may want to check out This Site. It is 15 chapters of reviews of mostly barbecue joints in DFW area. A regular barbecue crawl.The food pictures are excellent and the reviews are really down to earth. I grew up eating in joints like these and it brings back good memories. Here is a brief sample of the content to see if something like this would interest you:

Daniel’s Barbecue, on Beckley, just south of Illinois.
danielsexterior.jpg

Daniel’s was empty when I arrived, which usually isn’t a good sign. But I could smell smoke from the parking lot, which usually is a good sign. The restaurant has a small dine-in section with an odd assembly of decorations, ranging from a portrait of Miles Davis to Tahitian Noni posters. I placed my order and waited for the meat to arrive.

danielsbrisket.jpg

The brisket was low to mid-sandwich-grade. Smokiness was moderate and the meat was a bit dry in places. Okay with a couple slices of bread and a drizzle of sauce, but not for straight eating.

danielslinks.jpg

Daniel’s sausage was a bit unexpected. Listed on the bilingual menu as “chorizo polaco” (i.e., Polish sausage), they weren’t the hot links I’m accustomed to seeing in South Dallas. But, at the same time, it wasn’t the generic supermarket-style sausage I find in most joints farther north. It was a bit loosely packed, but had pretty good texture, a lot of juiciness (but without the clumsy saltiness of most), and decent flavor. Not quite up to Rudolph’s quality (which remains the most visible standard-bearer for quality Polish sausages in DFW barbecue joints), but a step in that direction.

danielsribs.jpg

The ribs showed some signs of promise, but didn’t fully deliver. They had an acceptable degree of smokiness and firm texture, just shy of toughness. Bark was looking good, but proved to be thick and chewy in many places. I’m not sure if the problem was that they’d been stored a while or just slightly overcooked. They were still decent ribs. But perhaps with better timing they could have been quite good.

Daniel’s is a fairly average South Dallas barbecue joint, which is to say it would be somewhat above average north of I-30. It’s a respectable option for those in the area; but if one is making a trip to South Dallas for barbecue, it wouldn’t top my list of destinations.

Back