Need Brethren advise on first, long distance build...

bloqbeta

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

I've been trying to build my first smoker for a while. I personally don't have the time for building it at the moment since I have moved to Guatemala (I am originally from El Salvador, 3 hours drive away) . Last week, a welder I know from El Salvador got into some kind of trouble and is hiding away, so he has plenty of time to help.

That's why on this past weekend I went searching for tanks and started the build. The plan is as follows:

100+ gallon water pump tank, two welded together-heavy gauge 2.5 gallon fire extinguishers for firebox, the rest from angle iron and bars.

The problem is that this fellow works pretty fast and I can't drive 3 hours to supervise the build. Today I got the first pictures. What I can see from them is that the lower level is way too low and it should be a two or three inches higher. I'm posting photos: What do you think?

6.JPG

4.JPG

2.JPG

5.JPG

Last edited:
I'm no expert but that bottom shelf does look a bit low.
Are you putting the firebox at the rear or on one end?
Are you going to put a diffuser plate setup in the bottom of the smoker?

Regds
Muzza.

I'm no expert but that bottom shelf does look a bit low.
Are you putting the firebox at the rear or on one end?
Are you going to put a diffuser plate setup in the bottom of the smoker?

Regds
Muzza.

Hi Muzza,

I intended it to be an offset smoker, Firebox at the end. I was thinking on leaving the lower shelf and installing a third shelf on the middle so I can take any one of them out deppending on what i'm smoking. My main concern is if there is enough space down there to install the diffuser plate

I've stopped the guy from continuing the build cause im going on thursday to see how things are going. Any suggestions are welcomed since this is my first build and I've got any experience building smokers.

The bottom shelf may not be too low if the smoke/heat is well distributed. That said, a 2.5 gallon fire extinguishers for firebox is small and could make smoke/heat distribution difficult

Back