Need help for camping trip.

hnd

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
the first week of october, i will be heading to baudette for the walleye run. i will not have access to a smoker or have time to maintain the elcheapo charcoal grill we'll have there. so what i would like to do is this.

smoke a brisket as well as some ribs at home, freeze them, then cook them in the oven. obviously they won't be as good as fresh made, however, what would be the best methodology for getting these things smoked-frozen-recooked. i would like to only have to toss these in the oven for an hour or so. so i'm thinking i need to get them pretty close to being finished.

but would also have no problem coming in for lunch, turning on the oven and letting them roll in there for another 4 hours.

this will be 2 separate meals.

we will also have hdry aged steak one night. the other 4 nights? fish. obviously.

errrrr........walleye run, right?
Hard to beat fresh grilled walleye!!

.........just sayin':becky:

Think your right on target with your plan. Wrap, heat and eat. I'm sure everyone will be happy after a hard days fishing. Good luck!

Might consider a back up meal just in case the fish are not biting. :becky:

Might consider a back up meal just in case the fish are not biting. :becky:

don't jinx it!

the last 2 years, the weather has been a smidge late. ideally the water temps get are in the low 40's and the fish release out of lake of the woods and the river is stacked up. last few years, the fish have been holding at the mouth and the river temps were in the 46-48 range. hoping that we get back to normal. they had one of the best springs in years up there and hopefully that continues over into fall.

Here is what I do...cook them fully. Slice them up. Foodsaver (vacuum seal) them and then freeze.

When it comes time to eat, let them thaw and then reheat in hot water. Get a large pot, bring to a boil and then back off a bit. Put the Foodsaver bags directly in the hot water and let it come up to temp that way. Careful of the bottoms...stir them around a bit.

The food comes out just like it was when fresh...stays moist and is delicious!

My Foodsaver has paid for itself 10 times over.

Here is what I do...cook them fully. Slice them up. Foodsaver (vacuum seal) them and then freeze.

When it comes time to eat, let them thaw and then reheat in hot water. Get a large pot, bring to a boil and then back off a bit. Put the Foodsaver bags directly in the hot water and let it come up to temp that way. Careful of the bottoms...stir them around a bit.

The food comes out just like it was when fresh...stays moist and is delicious!

My Foodsaver has paid for itself 10 times over.

awesome, will be doing this.

"Here is what I do...cook them fully. Slice them up. Foodsaver (vacuum seal) them and then freeze."

I do this often, it works great and it's the next best thing to fresh!

100% finsih cook everything. When you get there don't keep in the freezer, just the fridge so when you cook them they are getting thawed to begin with. Like they said, it will be as good as just off the pit!

I do a late fall Bay de Noc walleye fish that's always incredible! Hope yours is the same!

Back