Help With Brisket

K

kwantz

I was wondering is it possible to over smoke a brisket? What is a nice wood to smoke with, hickory and apple? all I have access to is wood chips, also I dont plan on using a rub, I havent been to succesfull with the online rubs i dont really like the recipes, and around here in grocery stores are the weber line of rubs, ted readers bone dust, and the club house brand rubs and montreal steak seasonings.

Also is there such thing as over marinating, say I marinate with injecting marinate and let it sit wrapped for 2-3 days? is the longer the better or is it possible to over marinate? I really want to keep the rub simple, possibly just a steak seasoning.

oak and pecan are great woods for brisket, but if you don't have access, apple and hickory will work just fine.

keep the rub simple to start rather than nothing at all... Kosher Salt, Coarse Pepper, maybe a touch of cayenne and/or chili powder, garlic powder. You can then experiment over future cooks with proportions or additions/removals.

What do you plan to marinate with ? I'd skip that unless it's a really kick arse, complimentary formula.. (not FAB!!)

I smoke over oak, will add cherry or alder at times. If I am using chips, I wrap them into foil packs to prevent them from burning up too much. I have switched to primarily salt, pepper and chile powder based upon advice I have gotten here.

i was planning on using my steak marinade i use for steaks of course, its called the perfect steak same company that makes broil king i believe, A fabulous blend of soya, balsamic vinegar, white vinegar, soya oil, olive oil, garlic, onion, spices and salt

I was planning on marinating and injecting this for a couple days at least, i donno how long i should let it sit in it though.

Brisket.....................;}-

Kwantz, Like Squater said, KISS.
I do the S/P and some times a little Garlic powder. Nothing else. I put it on the Brisket just before putting it on the smoker.
Comes out juicy, smoky and there's something about Pepper and Beef that can not be beat:mrgreen:
1.5hrs. per pound of brisket for time and 220* to 225*F. for heat.
Make sure the smoke isn't white;get it light and bluish:icon_cool

I do believe in the art of smoking the kiss method is always best! And i second the thought that nothing works better on meat then pepper!!

If you can't find chunks over in Sarnia, might I suggest crossing over to Port Huron and finding a home depot or lowes? They'll have chunks for sure. Chips burn too quick with charcoal. They're better for smoker boxes on gas grills in my opinion.

we marinate ours in a mixture of teriyaki, worstershire, and food processed garlic and onions. and than just light kosher salt, pepper and a touch of cayenne for heat, not the biggest fan of chili powder. Wood wise, oak, mesquite, cherry. Just dont over-do it, briskets like a smoke sponge.

Salt, pepper, some chipotle or chili powder and just enough sugar to get a nice thick crunchy bark. The turbinado I have found is like a cement for the rest of the spices when it gets hot enough. I foil and rest mine, and if the bark isn't stout enough to hold up to the steam and rest, it will go soft on you.

If I inject with brisket I use only beef stock or FAB. Once in a while if it looks like a tough one (smaller amount of fat cap or marbeling than usual) I might use some Dr. Pepper or Coke as the acid will cause an enzymatic reaction and actually start to break down the tissues before the meat even gets cooked. Be careful with this though as it's easy to get mush if you overcook.

And I like Mesquite on briskets for the family. Don't over do the mequite though it has a stronger flavor than oak or hickory. Cherry is a good mild smoke.

That and KC always said, "Any wood is good for smoking, as long as it's cherry", good advice.

well i usually do my steaks in the marinade with the "Perfect Steak" which consists of soya, balsamic vinegar, white vinegar, soya oil, olive oil, garlic, onion, spices and salt marinade for 24 hours, and they come out tender and juicey everytime, but the brisket is such a huge piece of meat compared to the steak, I think i may try 36-48 hours, but also with injecting the marinade in there evenly. Ill try and track down some wood chunks.

Salt, pepper, some chipotle or chili powder and just enough sugar to get a nice thick crunchy bark. The turbinado I have found is like a cement for the rest of the spices when it gets hot enough. I foil and rest mine, and if the bark isn't stout enough to hold up to the steam and rest, it will go soft on you.

If I inject with brisket I use only beef stock or FAB. Once in a while if it looks like a tough one (smaller amount of fat cap or marbeling than usual) I might use some Dr. Pepper or Coke as the acid will cause an enzymatic reaction and actually start to break down the tissues before the meat even gets cooked. Be careful with this though as it's easy to get mush if you overcook.

And I like Mesquite on briskets for the family. Don't over do the mequite though it has a stronger flavor than oak or hickory. Cherry is a good mild smoke.

That and KC always said, "Any wood is good for smoking, as long as it's cherry", good advice.

Pure and simple instructions. Follow these and you'll do great.
(Glad to have you back Pimp)

Back