BBQ Rubs & Burgers

D

DoubleC

I have been asked to cook burgers for 150. Typically I use a little Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce with a few other homemade spices and seasonings. I figured this time it might be a little easier to go with a good rub instead. For those who cook burgers with BBQ rubs instead of home made concoctions what have you been using and how have you been doing them. I plan on using my trailer pit and will not be grilling them per say over direct heat.

It would depend a lot on the quality of the burger. If they are regular preformed patties, I would go ahead with the rub I normally use for beef. If it is quality chuck or sirloin, I would go with kosher salt and black pepper, maybe a little dry mustard and chile powder. The better the beef, the less I feel it needs augmentation.

Oh, if I am making the grind myself, I use chuck and pork shoulder and forget anything but kosher salt and medium black pepper just before serving.

For plain old burgers, you can't go wrong with plain old salt and pepper. If I want to jazz em up a little, the family prefers Famous Dave's Steak & Burger seasoning.

Our Bovine Bold rub is great in burgers and meatloaf. I normally don't post a lot in these kinds of threads, but I really like our beef rub in burgers.

Sometimes I'll use Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks or Cowlick rub. Latley I've been using ground brisket & bacon with sea salt and course ground pepper just before they hit the grill.

Sometimes I'll use Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks or Cowlick rub. Latley I've been using ground brisket & bacon with sea salt and course ground pepper just before they hit the grill.

4 to 1 burger to bacon is a great mix when grinding your own.

I ususally use Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning. If I'm making my own I put in the the meat before or if I am force to use frozen I just sprinkle on when you put the burgers on and when you flip.

Grew up w/ Tony C's in hamburgers, recently tried Bovine Bold. It was great and wife likes it more than Tony C's, so that is what we use.

Normally we use just salt and pepper or nothing at all.

Other times we we will use a little onion and garlic powder with salt and pepper.

I normally do not comment on burgers.... the reason why is....well, a properly cooked GRIDDLED burger or pan burger done old style is hard to beat. It is a different animal than a grilled burger.

That crust that is formed from meat that sits undisturbed as it caramelizes is hard to beat.

I have been searching for a replica of what they have used at Louis' "Lunch" in new haven for the last 104 years. Its a gas burners, that cooks a burger held in a rack SIDEWAYS!

View attachment 30504

Watch the Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AasO046lS3c

Contraption is behind them. Those things are hundred years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fior me, the winner is garlic powder and oregano, incorporated into the meat, hands down. Simple to buy and do, tastes extra good with cheese on top. Everybody loves it.

I experiment with lots of different things but the old standy from the time I was a little kid has always been Lawrey's.

I normally do not comment on burgers.... the reason why is....well, a properly cooked GRIDDLED burger or pan burger done old style is hard to beat. It is a different animal than a grilled burger.

That crust that is formed from meat that sits undisturbed as it caramelizes is hard to beat.

I agree. The only time I actually put burgers on the grill is if I'm doing a bunch. When I cook just a few, they go in a cast iron skillet.

Back