Pecan Wood

Pecan is one of my favorites especially being from Oklahoma. However, now that I'm in San Diego it is very difficult to find unless I want to pay luxury car prices for it! I haven't really found a good wood supplier in these parts yet.

My buddy called me and said he got 3 big pecan limbs from his neighbors yard for me after a storm passed through. Got'em today and cut them into chunks to let them dry. Once it dries should I remove the bark before using? I was told it would give the meat a bitter taste. ?????
David
The only reason that bark would cause a bitter taste is that it had too much moisture in it and smoldered instead of combusting. The bitter taste that you sometimes find in Q is actually creosote and that is either caused by wet fuel, poor draft in the cooker or a combination of the two.

Most of my smoke is pecan twigs. Have made smoke with pecan hulls and have read that pecans themselves also make good smoke. Since I am using yard fall, it is generally small diameter and with thin bark. (I have 8 pecan trees that constantly shed limbs in my yard).

I cook with pecan and bark on a lot. However, if the bark is older and easily peels or knocks off I'll take it off. I've never noticed the bitter taste some people mention from pecan bark.

I use to buy pecan wood from Home Depot, but recently found a guy who trimmed his pecan tree who sold me some nice logs for chunking. I could tell a huge difference in the flavor that it added to my meat compared to the Home Depot brand. So my question is, How long will pecan wood keep its flavor if I store it in a dry place? I don't want to buy store bought wood anymore.

I don't actually worry about bark itself, but often I will knock it of, to be sure there are no critters under it, or if it has any moss/fungus on it.

Back