Brisket - Hot & Fast

Thanks, folks. I took some into work this morning and everyone really enjoyed it.

gtsum, the temp probe was in the point.

Blkjeep, that's pretty much it. What I have been experimenting with over the last few months is breaking every rule in the book, basically. I am trying to get heat into the meat as quickly as possible using indirect heat. I have cooked them after foiling at as high as 400 F with good results.

jonboy, the only thing I'd add is don't use a lot of sugar in the rub and make sure you cook it with indirect heat. You can see some charred spots on the tip of the point on this one because it was extending beyond the diffuser in the keg.

Looks great. Where are you getting your brisket? I will try to get with you in a week or so. Thanks.

Thanks, folks.

B & B Backyard BBQ, that was a $1.99 per pound Walmart special.

Thanks, folks.

I took some of the brisket into work Tuesday and in the last two days I have gotten two requests to cater events. :laugh:

I had to decline the offers, of course, because I have no idea how to cater anything. But, it was nice to get the offers.

Thanks, brethren.

Campdude, they were pretty tasty.

Here is the finished brisket. I ate some slices on white bread and fresh avocado for dinner. It was worth the effort.

picture.php

picture.php

pic #2 is the brisket pic we have been seeking for years.i love a 1/8"inch thick slice you can still see through.

Thanks, folks. I took some into work this morning and everyone really enjoyed it.

gtsum, the temp probe was in the point.

Blkjeep, that's pretty much it. What I have been experimenting with over the last few months is breaking every rule in the book, basically. I am trying to get heat into the meat as quickly as possible using indirect heat. I have cooked them after foiling at as high as 400 F with good results.

jonboy, the only thing I'd add is don't use a lot of sugar in the rub and make sure you cook it with indirect heat. You can see some charred spots on the tip of the point on this one because it was extending beyond the diffuser in the keg.

Very nice!
I haven't been on the Brethren for months but came tonight to get some advice on brisket! And looky here what I found! Great!

Boshizzle ~ I was planning on doing just flats for about 35 people this weekend for a birthday party. Have you used this method on just flats? I have a UDS that I can put a dissuer in so I can do indirect. Would I do them for approximately the same time and temp? I welcome your advise and anyone elses especially on how much brisket to buy to feed 35 people.

Mick

AlbuQue,

Here is a little 3 pound flat I cooked that I was worried was going to turn out dry. It wasn't quite as juicy as the full packer, but it wasn't dry.

picture.php

Yep, the same recipe and cook method. I may have had a variation in the injection but it was a small variation that shouldn't make a big difference in results. As I recall, the flavor was slightly different because of a slightly different injection recipe.

since you like breaking the rules have you tried separating the point and the flat at 165? I did this awhile back on a hot and fast brisket and it worked great. You tend to get more bark on it. I want to try it again before the stall this time. I re-rub the point where it is bare with some rub. I also didn't go as high as you on the heat so that will change the amount of time you have to get more bark. Nice smoke !!!!

Back