CLEAN Egg...

shirknwrk

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
... This is not a new Egg... This is an Egg whose owner started a cleaning burn and forgot about it! Merely intended to burn the grease off the cooking grid but
when I came back after nearly half an hour, the 750° Tel Tru was 300° into it's second lap. I suppose that means 1050° I shut the lower vent then capped the Egg when the temperature dropped to 400° When I opened it this morning, I saw clean ceramic for the first time since I bought the Egg... three years ago!
Every speck of carbonized creosote was gone... dust in the wind. The Permatex Gold securing the Rutland gasket was also gone... but the gasket was intact. The Permatex withstood numerous 1000° cleaning burns... but none this long.
The Egg had a full load (near the top of the fire ring) when I started... There was about 1/4 of it left. Oh well, it would have taken me longer to remove all the build up than it will to replace the gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_0339a Clean Egg.jpg
    IMG_0339a Clean Egg.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0338a Clean Egg.jpg
    IMG_0338a Clean Egg.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 274
Wow ! I also do that from time to time but not that hot :shocked:

The regular gasket would have been toast.

DM

Did one like that a few weeks back. Be careful to check the clamps!!! Mine were really lose!

I need to do the gaskets when I get home. Fortunately nobody else will touch it until I'm able

I did that by accident as well with similair results 2 weeks ago, however my therm did not work after. Reminded me I need to get that new gasket on. :clap:

I need to do one of those....

IMG_1618.jpg

Oooo shiny. :-D

and you're not the only one LM, it kinda scares me to be honest.

I did that by accident as well with similair results 2 weeks ago, however my therm did not work after. Reminded me I need to get that new gasket on. :clap:

Ask your dealer if he will warranty replace the thermo.

and you're not the only one LM, it kinda scares me to be honest.

I need to do a cleaning burn so I can take pictures of the cracks so I can get warrenty replacements of the fire box and ring. I am wondering of the gunk is holding them together... :twitch:

i did that on my vision today and looks good. of course when it got around 900-1000 i had to sear a steak. came out good

Back