View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Thanks Mad Man,
Your reply was very thorough and well explained. I did notice that the color of the smoke wasn't what I was used to seeing from my Traeger. The creosote flavor is exactly what I achieved. After this happened I did wonder about airflow. The Little Chief box that I am using is very, very old...probably 30 yrs old, top loader. I covered the chip pan door and power cord hole, so the only way the smoke escape was through the seams of the lid on top.
You mentioned about the amount of pellets (combustible) used. My tube is 12" long and about 3 inches wide. It burns very even. The only control I have with it is when to remove it and how many pellets I put in which dictates burn time. When I use it there will always be the same amount of smoke, I just need to figure out how to get the box airflow environment balanced..........right?
Cold smoking as been very trial and error for me without a lot of success.
Don't worry about trial and error, we have all had our share of learning experiences that we have made some type of error in.

My friend who used his Chief for smoking salmon used to leave a 5/8' wide at the top to vent. His was a front loader, so he just held the cover in place wi9th the large vent gap at the top.

I have seen some people add a cardboard box on top of the Chief. This allows you to add and smoke more food items on added racks in the box, as well as a way to add and make a top exhaust vent.

Remember you can always add more smoke for flavor, but you can't take it away. In the cold smoking process, smoke will be visible, it just shouldn't be billowing out.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->