Workin on my 1st UDS

SmokinBerto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Mornin' all, after a year of hem hawing around I've started a UDS. I picked up a 55 gallon drum with a removeable lid, a 3/4 ball valve, a used Weber 22.5" grill, an adjustable shelf rack & clips a 4X8 piece of expanded metal for the burn baskets.
I'm having problems uploading images. When I figure it out I'll post them.
I did a burn last night after installing the adjustable shelving. Looks like I'll have to do another as all the paint didn't come off.
The shelf clips could have been longer, the 22" grate can slip off a bit too easily. I may put spacers behind the shelf bracket.
I'm gonna try to figure out the picture thing to make more sense of this to those interested.
ttyl.

Welcome and yes we are interested. Try uploading to Photobucket then posting the img link.

pics

Sorry the order is a bit aschew but I'm trying. below is my adjustable rack system, not really mine, I liberated it from someone on one of the sites I've been haunting...Below this is the drum with the Weber Lid that's gonna need some fab work to be useable. The top of the barrel is a bit to big.
Below that pic is the cooking racks in the barrel. I'll need to space the rails out a bit as the grills are a little sloppy on them. Below this pic is the top of my drum after burning it the first time. I'm considering cutting the middle out & welding the outside ring to the weber lid for a good fit. And finally the second burn. all of the paint didn't appear to be consumed with the first..
100_0172_zps7969a6b8.jpg
This
100_0176_zps2e16bd0f.jpg
100_0169_zps11bc9aea.jpg
100_0178_zps6e3849a2.jpg
100_0181_zpsed1ee7f4.jpg

Don't cut the middle out. Go to hardware store and buy a strip of aluminium and bolt or rivet it to the inside of lip of drum for lid to sit on.

Helpful hint of advice, make sure that ball valve that you spoke of is full gate. I used 3/4" on mine and come to find out they are not full gate. Meaning the opening is actually maybe 1'2". And it will cause issues. $16 spent on valves that turned out to be useless to me. I should have done my homework first. :sad:

Hope it turns out well for you. Look forward to seeing some pron here soon.

Third time's not a charm

Okay the stupid red coating is more tenacious than it looks. I've burned the drum 3 times. This third time with the leaf blower adding air to stoke the fire. Some places the coating is coming off ok others not so much. I'm going to check into getting it sand blasted tomorrow.:evil:

Mornin' all, after a year of hem hawing around I've started a UDS. I picked up a 55 gallon drum with a removeable lid, a 3/4 ball valve, a used Weber 22.5" grill, an adjustable shelf rack & clips a 4X8 piece of expanded metal for the burn baskets.
I'm having problems uploading images. When I figure it out I'll post them.
I did a burn last night after installing the adjustable shelving. Looks like I'll have to do another as all the paint didn't come off.
The shelf clips could have been longer, the 22" grate can slip off a bit too easily. I may put spacers behind the shelf bracket.
I'm gonna try to figure out the picture thing to make more sense of this to those interested.
ttyl.

I used stainless washers to space the shelf rails away from the side of the drum until the racks fit perfectly!

Ok no sandblasters local, anyone ever tried Aircraft paint remover on the dreaded red coating?
I got the expanded metal cut & rolled today. I went to Lowes in search of hog rings (I intend to fabricate the burn baskets with them as I haven't access to a welder). The guy in the hardware dept. looked at me like I was from another planet. Do they intentionally employ the inept?
I need a bigger fridge for beer as this is gonna be a long drawn out project.

Hog rings are usually around the staple guns and brads in my local hardware store. Tractor supply usually has them around everywhere. I got my last pack from NAPA. Only problem is they make you buy 500 or 1000. Truly a lifetime supply for most people.

My first UDS had the dreaded red liner. After I spent days grinding that sucker out, and making my neighbors angry. I swore I would never buy another drum with a liner. I burnt mine first then had to grind it out slowly with a grinder. I read somewhere (cant find a link to it) that if you try to grind out the liner first before your burn, it comes out way easier. This obviously doesn't help you, but food for thought. Since building my first UDS I have bought three more barrels (all linerLESS) food grade barrels. I spent more money on them, but it was money well spent. The liner sucks!!!!!!!

I'm thinking, if 4 or 5 hundred degrees doesn't affect the liner,
then 275 won't either.
Mine cruises 250 w/ one closed, one open and one 1/2 closed nipples.

So I'm just going to toss my hat on the dirt and you all kick it if you want but after 3 burns with a leaf blower(which I applaud you good Sir for doing, so have I its cool) I would be cooking on that thing now.

Air inlets

A question of how many? As I said before I have a 3/4" ball valve for the inlet. I've seen a number of you have additional holes, usually with a nipple & cap on them. I went ahead & added 2 holes @ the bottom when I burnt the can the third time just for more air to get it hot. I've also seen where persons added a length of pipe to the valve opening & point it upward. Why?
Thanks

Ok no sandblasters local, anyone ever tried Aircraft paint remover on the dreaded red coating?
I got the expanded metal cut & rolled today. I went to Lowes in search of hog rings (I intend to fabricate the burn baskets with them as I haven't access to a welder). The guy in the hardware dept. looked at me like I was from another planet. Do they intentionally employ the inept?
I need a bigger fridge for beer as this is gonna be a long drawn out project.

You may can find hog rings at a farm store. Or if you have a large animal vet in town, they may have them. Its a shame you couldn't find a blaster. I like the shelf adjustments.

Back