Brisket temp question

Cap5233

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I've been doing some research and have found a couple recipe's from seasoned pitmasters (Chris Lilly) that says they cook the brisket to an internal temp of 185. This cant be right can it? Maybe 185 on the point but I thought at 185 on the flat, it would still not be done and you need to take the flat to 195/205. Thoughts?

There's been several things that Chris Lilly has said that I didn't agree with and that is another one! If you pull that brisket at an internal temp of 185, you may as well lace it up and wear it cause SHOE LEATHER is what you'll have!:cool:
Probe tender for doneness not IT.:wink:

Maybe he starts probing at 185 is all I can imagine. Personally when it get to 190 I pull out the probe and finish cooking it from there.

Could wrapping versus not wrapping account for some of the temperature difference? (along the lines of 185 unwrapped could be roughly equivalent to 190 wrapped?). I heard the 185F thing too. On my last brisket, I had to cut off a lot more hard fat than usual. I didn't foil, and it took much longer than expected to get up to 185, so I checked for tenderness at 185 and decided that it was ready. I'm only at roughly the intermediate stage on my brisket learning curve, so I could have gotten it wrong, but it was very tender in the thick middle, and the result was one of my better ones.

Brisket is a Tx thang that Bama boy might know pork butt, but I know Brisket!

BBQ RULES
FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Back