• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sunday afternoon R&R...

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just watching some football outside, having a few cool ones (okay, more than a few). Doing some stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon on the Weber, and gonna try pizza on the EGG for the first time (keep your fingers crossed). I hope you all are having a great day...

4916974467_b703cc1715_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, A great Sunday, just took 20 wings off the Weber, Sunday afternoon nap was floating in the pool for a couple of hours.......of course cold ones all the way! You'll like pizza on the egg, It's fun.

Indeed we are, thanks. Cool one in hand, ribs on the UDS.

Yup. Great day for sure.

Just threw MOINK's, 2 fatties on the smoker, finishing up burnt ends. Brisket flat's keeping warm in the oven. Company will be here in an hour.

Getting ready to crack my first Oktoberfest!

Have a great day y'all!

Gotta love Sunday afternoons. Nice looking area you got there. By any chance could yo maybe post some detailed pics of the Santa Maria grill you have there? I've been thinking of building something like, but don't have an idea where to start.

Thanks.

Bob

Gotta love Sunday afternoons. Nice looking area you got there. By any chance could yo maybe post some detailed pics of the Santa Maria grill you have there? I've been thinking of building something like, but don't have an idea where to start.

Thanks.

Bob

Absolutely Bob, here you go. The pit is just roughly constructed from used brick I picked up at Home Depot. The frame was constructed by my father-in-laws neighbor, if you can weld I am sure you can put one together. It is pretty simple, this one utilizes heavy springs to hole the grate at the desired height. The frame on this one was built incorrectly (that is why the top is finished of kinda cheesey), but it still works. I am about to tear this one down and replace it with one a little bigger, not sure why since I typically cook for two. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM, I will be happy to help in any way I can.

4917757319_5a1ea013a7_b.jpg

4918357282_b9b676cd44_b.jpg

4917757721_e5a864f2b2_b.jpg

Thanks Tim. So, it's about 8 brick layers high. Is the inside hollow all the way to the bottom layer of brick, or is there a raised floor under the ashes to about the half way point of higher. This gives a really good idea to build upon. I can weld........a little bit, not pretty, but the welds hold. Is that a driver or an iron?:becky:
If you do break it down, maybe you can take a few pics as you demolish it so we can see how it was built up from the inside. That is a sweet grill. Thanks for the close ups.

Bob

Thanks Tim. So, it's about 8 brick layers high. Is the inside hollow all the way to the bottom layer of brick, or is there a raised floor under the ashes to about the half way point of higher. This gives a really good idea to build upon. I can weld........a little bit, not pretty, but the welds hold. Is that a driver or an iron?:becky:
If you do break it down, maybe you can take a few pics as you demolish it so we can see how it was built up from the inside. That is a sweet grill. Thanks for the close ups.

Bob

It is hollow all the way down, but I placed four or six flat pavers to protect the concrete. Once you get a nice ash bed in it, I guess that would be protection enough. I think I have cleaned it out about once per year, not a big deal since the grate is adjustable. The golf club you see has the end cut off, and has a stainless steel hook on it for adjusting the fire....I have like 4 different versions, I have a shorter one that works perfectly for removing the cast iron grate from my large BGE (it can be seen laying across the bottom of the nest in the second pic).

Are the bricks just free stacked or are they mortared in place?
When you build your new pit, please post up the construction pics.
thanks
jon

Are the bricks just free stacked or are they mortared in place?
When you build your new pit, please post up the construction pics.
thanks
jon

This one was thrown together by my Father-in Law & his brother, they are by no means masons...lol. They are mortared in place, but they did not keep the bricks wet during construction so the mortar dried out. It is pretty much free stacked at this point, but it is still really stable....I guess that will make it easier to re-use the bricks when I rebuild.

Back