Mexican sauce help

4uweque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I had dinner at a Mexican seafood place last night. They had a dipping sauce for the fried shrimp that was great. It was called Tamarind sauce, sweet with a little heat in the end. I think it would be incredible on wings and maybe even ribs. I googled it and there are lots of recipes, anyone have a favorite they would share?

I live in the Memphis area also. What restaurant was it? I'd like to go and try the sauce. My wife and I love the remoulade sauce they serve at Outback with their grilled shrimp. Thanks, Tom

It's a new place at Kirby and Quince. It's called Los Cabos. Everything we had was pretty good. It's right around the corner from me, I hope I don't gain more weight because of it.

Is it Mexican Mexican, or Sears Mexican?

Mexican American. You know, where they go to night school, take spanish and get a B.:laugh:

Sorry for the hijack.:icon_blush:

Sauce does sound interesting, though.

I wish I knew, I am gonna have to just ask the manager more about it. I had no idea there were so many variants.
Oh and they are very Mexican, hard to find an English speaker.

If you ask for the recipe then, you just might get it, if it's autentico. I got a great pickled cabbage recipe once doing the same thing at a Russian place downtown years ago.

There is a sauce called "tiger sauce" made famous by johnny trigg, it has some tamarind in it, but I think its more of an asian flavor, I bet you could start with some and add whatever flavors you think are missing. I have yet to find tamarind paste locally in a store, but its on the "to find" list.

Are you speaking of Cafe Samovar? I hated when that place closed!

Yep. From the owner himself. I was very sad when they closed and I haven't eaten anywhere downtown since. Except Gus's. I guess because I only went other places when waiting for a table was going to take too long of a time.

Back