View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #35
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
I don't know if I'd go that far; Bill's a good guy, just maybe had some funky venison and/or grassfed beef along the line somewhere. Maybe what he meant is since they eat the same grass, they should taste similar.

The "gamey" taste usually attributed to venison is nothing more than spoiling meat. People tend to hang their deer in a tree to age, and it warms up in the sun, then freezes overnight, and repeats for a few days until it tastes off. I kill mine, clean immediately, rinse out the cavity, then skin while its warm and easy, quarter it, and wrap in butcher paper to let it age properly in a 38 degree frig for 4-6 days to complete the rigor mortis and muscle relaxing cycle. The result is some of the most incredible meat you can have (I've instantly converted venison naysayers), but it tastes completely different than our beef.
I agree a properly processed game animal is not "Gamey Tasting" the browse and grass found in a wild animals diet has a high beta carotene content which gives the characteristic yellow hue to the fat. Also how quickly the animal is dispatched leads to a more tender mild tasting meat. I have passed up many opportunities to shoot an animal if I was not confident I would drop him in his tracks. I have eaten deer from the corn fields of Illinois, the Sonoran Desert of Arizona and the forest of the Rocky Mountains and all have their own distinct flavor. Grass fed cattle also vary based on their diet, I have had certified grass fed beef from South Dakota and Certified range fed from Az. and there is no comparison. My experience is folks that do not like venison or grass fed lamb tend to find 100% grass fed beef to funky for their taste. Maybe I am weird but I like the flavor nature imparts on game and domestic critters I enjoy eating.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->