• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

brisket....fat up or down??????

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Never done a brisket before....gonna try one Monday on the Akorn....figure I'll go 225 and will be using a stone for indirect.

Gonna wrap it at 160 and go it gets tender.

Using Black Ops rub.

Do you advise cooking with the fat side up or down?

My opinion is different depending on the cooker. BGE I'm fat side down, most others fat side up.

On a grill you will want fat down. On a smoker the hottest part of your smoker is towards the top atleast that 's how my offset is so I do fat up.

You want a central Texas style bark, trim fat cap to 1/4", season with S&P, and cook fat cap up. You wanna KC style bark cook FC down and build the bark with rub and sugar.

Otherwise, just aim the FC at the heat and be done with it.

On a grill you will want fat down. On a smoker the hottest part of your smoker is towards the top atleast that 's how my offset is so I do fat up.

That's true if your brisket is up near the lid where the thermo is located on the offset smoker. I guess if you using a vertical smoker it also makes sense.

However, if it is near the fire box, the hottest part is down near the box.

Seems like fat down provides a good heat shield. Of course the fat up, letting it act as a natural basting .

So i just turned my brisket . :blabla:

I am in the fat cap toward the heat camp. As mentioned, whether that is up or down depends on the cooker. In the Akorn I would have the fat cap down.

Big Mista did some comparative cooks in his Spicewine a while back with briskets and butts. He cooked one of each fat cap up and one of each fat cap down. He couldn't detect a difference in the end product :-D

I go fat cap down into UDS. That would be towards the heat source. I question the value of basting meat in an oven or smoker

what to do with a RF stick burner?

Flip a coin? :-D

The airflow will be across the meat, so I would probably go fat cap up, but I don't have one to experiment. If you have one I guess you'll just have to do some empirical research for us! :becky:

I like to put the fat cap down in both my offset and vertical for the one reason that I like to have a nice unblemished surface of bark. That way the grate doesn't ruin the only side where the rub matters the non fat cap side. I have tried it both ways and they always come out great fat cap down.

Back