Et 732

captndan

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Got a new one. Sitting on the counter the grill probe will read the ambient air temp. The meat one does not register anything. The timer works. Is this normal because the meat probe is not in anything? The setup is confusing. This may be the problem cuz I can' set up a digital watch.

no the meat probe is just like the bbq probe, its just shaped different

make sure its plugged in all the way

to test the probe, swap them on your unit, see if the problem follows the probe.

Is this happening on the transmitter and the receiver?

If the probe is not plugged all the way in it will not register, I have done that on occasion, even thinking that I did indeed plug them in all the way. They should both read the ambient temperature as soon as you turn em on (assuming you turn your stuff on before you place your probes where they need to go)

Good comments on this problem.

My ET 732 is in shipping and I'm looking forward to finally finding out what is going on with the meat in that big hot box.

They are a very good tool, especially when one is in the early phase of the bbq world. You are able to easily track the temps of the meat as it rises and stalls and monitor remotely as you work on other things. However one thing I have noticed is that my meat probe consistently runs 5-7 degrees hotter than I check with my thermopen. I see a lot of posts where people have higher finishing temps than they expected and I wonder if this is a common thing with these. As to your original question I would agree with the other posts.

The transmitter works fine. It's the receiver that does not work. Going back to Amazon.

Sometimes they lose sync and you just have to turn them off and back on or whatever. I loved my ET732 when I was beginning the smoking adventure. But I hardly use mine anymore these days. I use the thermapen and other methods to tell when things are done.

Back