• 1/3 lb.

Votes: 53 51.0%
  • 1/2 lb.

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • other

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1/4 lb here. I like small smash burgers and bigger reverse seared or grilled burgers.

When going on a bun I like them at 5 ounces raw weight. But... I'm a sucker for a good hamburger (or pork) steak, in which case I make them ob-round and 3/4" thick, the weight is 7 to 8 ounces.

Size of bun matters ....Fat content matters as well...80/20....I grind my own and it may be a tad more fatty...6 oz pattys are perfect for the larger bakery buns we buy. Cheap white buns I'll use a smaller patty. Meat to bun ratio is veryi mportant.

I like multiple thinner patty's for maximum char/caramelization with melted cheese between each patty and on top to keep the bacon in place.

Depends...
Smashburgers- 2oz ball. but have to be eaten as double burger

burgers on gas grill- 1/4 lbs (if I'm using gas, it's for a party and I'm prolly cooking 20+ burgers I pre formed in a 1/4 press)

burgers on charcoal- 1/4 lb to 1/2 lb- hand formed, depends on bun, toppings, who's eating

Grilled 1/2 lb, but smash style I like them smaller, thinner and stacked in multiples of 3-5.

I go with the double 2oz patty smash burger most of the time these days. I avoid anything bigger than 1/3 lb since the taste payoff generally isn't worth the feeling like crap afterwards.

Mark me as 1/3. I can cook one at any weight, but more than that and I am too full.

I do 1/4 pounders.

I have a burger press, patty papers, and put up a big package in pound portions. Then freeze the patties and vacuum seal for the freezer.
I actually weigh the meat before pressing, and have my press set to make a nice 1/4 pound patty.
I don't Pre-Season. That way the meat is virgin for any dish.

Need a pound? Grab a bag.
Need a half pound? Split off two patties.
Want a double quarter pounder with cheese? No futzing around.

Of course, everybody do your own thang. :wink:
This is mine.

I never go by weight. I like good meat to bun ratio: bun diameter = cooked patty diameter. Look at the bun, press them -pretty thin -to size and allow for some shrinkage. Some things should not be overthought... this is one of them.

Back