One of those cabin fever weekends...

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
It wasn't as interesting as last year's cabin fever... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79079 but it was a nice weekend. :)

I found some banana leaves and wanted to give them a try. Do a mini pork cook.. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/12/cooking-whole-hog-underground.html I usually use burlap.

I injected the hunka pork and seasoned then wrapped..

001-1.jpg

used my fencing pliers and baling wire to hold it together..

006-2-1.jpg

got out my post hole diggers...

030-2.jpg

burned wood to get a good hot bed of coals..

018-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

buried the pork and played some pool. :)
028-1.jpg

came back several hours later... it looked well done but came out fine..

032-1.jpg

046-1.jpg

heated some garlic, onions and wild onions...

025-1.jpg

and some tortillas...

055-1.jpg

it was self serve style...

030-1-1.jpg

It was tasty!

059-1.jpg

I think they were happy chicken and guinea weren't on the menu....

039-1.jpg

I liked the banana leaf okay... it's just not easy to find in my area... so I'll probably continue doing it the old way.

Thanks for looking at my weekend cook!

that looks tasty and the 'atmosphere' looks like something you can't get here in SoCal. I'd love to be there for a while...a long while. thanks for sharing.

That looks like good eatin to me! You amaze me with the variety of things you cook!

Love me some deep pit action! You make it look easy. How long in the hole by the way?

Jeanie, as always your food looks wonderful. I think we should have an annual Brethren reunion.....at your place! Very nice!

Nice SWSW & TBSAP...... At least their isn't any snow their and it sunny ..... (I don't know if that qualifies as Cabin Fever Weather :roll:.... need snow and dreary days..... just say'n :-D)

I could go for a plate or two.....MMMMMMMMMMM.....mmmmmmmmmmm
Nicely Done Jeanie..... Very Nicely done :-D

Well...let me say this:*ahum*......here it comes.........YOU SUCK!!!!!

I was going to say:where's the Cholula and bottle of "Mine"?....but I think I Phound them! :wink:
Quite Jeaniusz again!:cool:

Great way to do something in the ground!
I reviewed your photos again, no coals on top, just a metal reflector.
I have helped do whole hogs in the ground as well. We wrapped them in like half a mile of tin foil, covered with a layer of earth then more coals.

P.S. What does a Guinea hen taste like?

Jeanie looks great but in my house your not gonna beat your fish tacos! Wife bought cod yesterday. Also grilling up some beef shanks to braise later will post pics. Wish I could dig a hole around here but in this area of New England I would have to use heavy equipment.

Great way to do something in the ground!
I reviewed your photos again, no coals on top, just a metal reflector.
I have helped do whole hogs in the ground as well. We wrapped them in like half a mile of tin foil, covered with a layer of earth then more coals.

P.S. What does a Guinea hen taste like?

Chicken...:)

Post hole diggers and fence pliers, only you would have them in your kitchen drawer:wink:, Fine looking eats there:thumb:

Well, I have to say I've never used my post hole diggers to cook with, but YOU pulled it off in fine fashion!!:clap2:

LOL. Being from the Texas Panhandle, I have a soft spot in my heart for a girl who owns her own fencing pliers.

Love the post hole pit idea too. Great looking grub.

Cool, how many hours is several? How much did the Pork weigh?

I know this underground method works but I do not understand how. Once you cover the pit, how can the fire breath and not go out cold long before the meat cooks to temp.

Back