Possible find - Need ideas

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was at the car wash today and out in the front waiting area they had two large plastic barrels with a free sign on them. First thing I thought of was a wind barrier for my WSM.

I was thinking first I would need to cut the top and bottom off and then cut it in half. Then get some sort of removable pinned hinge to be able to open it up to place it around the WSM. I'd want removable pin or something so I could flip one around and store it easier. Sound like a workable plan?

I didn't take one, but I did ask if they had those available often and he said yes. I am a good enough customer that I could call up and they would save me on.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 246
Ok, I know we are all in the summer mindset, but no one had a thought on whether this was a good idea for winter time?

The 30 gallon barrels make great ice barrels to tap a half keg in when you cut the top off of it.

How heavy is it? Why not just cut the top and bottom off and drop it over the W.S.M.?

I don't think it would fit around my 22.5" WSM. If it did, it would be tight.

The 30 gallon barrels make great ice barrels to tap a half keg in when you cut the top off of it.

Hmmm... Would have been great 20 years ago, but can't remember last time I had a kegger...

I am going to bump this one more time since it was a busy weekend for most. I'll take the hint if it dies to the bottom again...

I have those barrels where I work, they have anti freeze in them

I do not see why your idea would not work.

I dont have a WSM but I think it would work fine

one way to find out, what have you got to lose?

I have made compost barrels out of them. They would be easy to cut lengthwise in two. The only thing that might be a problem that I could see would be getting blown over into your cooker. How about a couple of those plastic saw horses with something to deflect the wind. Sorry cold wind is not a problem that I have to deal with.

But if it is free grab it.

Cut a hole in the bottom side and a slit in the top. then connect a clothes dryer vent hose to the WSM and to the hole in the bottom side. Screw a couple pieces of wood in to make a shelf holder and add a few cookie racks or the like and you have yourself a nice cold smoker :)

Back