• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
burgers are served on a bun so i disqualify meself. :tsk:

burgers are served on a bun so i disqualify meself. :tsk:

No.... that's cr@p. I had this problem with the sandwich throwdown, A burger is a subcategory of a sandwich. After Chris and I cleared that up, I fluked watching a show on Cable (yes, we have that over here strung up between 2 gum trees with animal skins chucked over the top to make a nice humpy...)

Anyway, the show was about the history of the burger. Throughout the whole show, they CONSTANTLY referred to burgers as sandwiches.... AND importantly, the restaurant officially credited with making the first burger, which is still in business today, first served their burgers on WHITE SANDWICH Bread...

So there... You're in Bro!

I guess I was under the assumption that I had made a chicken burger. I got that idea after looking at the burger throwdown example picture which is a meat other than beef and wanted to do something different. True it is not ground it never even donned on me that what I made was not a chicken burger. My heart is broken into a million pieces and I don't know how I'll ever make it through this ordeal. I wasn't trying to bend rules I really thought I had made a chicken burger. Oh well fair is fair. Can I at least consider this a zero?

that first one is a great photo and it looks like it could be a ground chicken burger coated in panko. i'd say you used a coarse screen when grinding that chicken. :idea:

The all-American burger is served on Wonderbread and not a bun, so I guess it's DQ'ed also. Just saved me some time, cause I didn't use a bun either. Whatever happened to the "let the voters decide" rule. Seems that one was fair. But I guess we've got a whale-shaggin', tree-schmoozin', Chez-snackin' communist running things now who assumes the people are too stupid to make their own decisions for themselves and has to make them for us. I wish Bigabyte would find his foil hat again. He rants much better than I do. Landarc, are you in Chris' head? I'm sorry I only left some beans and scattered bits of foil for you. Perhaps you can leave Chris' head if you're there and come back. I'll try to slip a few beef ribs in there!

Let's not let this get out of control. I really hope my correction doesn't steer this thing towards overcorrection, or lead to too much nitpicking.

I think if someone submits a patty of ground meat or (heavens forbid) ground meat substitute, that will qualify enough to get into the voting thread.

What I would hate to see is someone submit a pulled pork sandwich, or a whole brisket, or something else along those lines. That is why I am putting in this rule, to allow for any mischief to be handled.

Smokey Al was not trying to trick anyone, or do anything mischevious, and I totally understand where he was coming from and originally was going to let this one be decided by the voters. I meant no ill will towards anyone by taking this step.

The reason I did something is because I just know that some joker or jokers out there somewhere could take that case as a reason to start submitting entries that are not really in the category at hand. Call me paranoid, but I think some people like stirring up controversy and this is simply to avoid a clear issue that can be addressed simply.

We just all need to come to grips with it really. I don't think it is out of hand, but then since I came up with the idea I'm biased perhaps.

The all-American burger is served on Wonderbread and not a bun, so I guess it's DQ'ed also. Just saved me some time, cause I didn't use a bun either. Whatever happened to the "let the voters decide" rule. Seems that one was fair. But I guess we've got a whale-shaggin', tree-schmoozin', Chez-snackin' communist running things now who assumes the people are too stupid to make their own decisions for themselves and has to make them for us. I wish Bigabyte would find his foil hat again. He rants much better than I do. Landarc, are you in Chris' head? I'm sorry I only left some beans and scattered bits of foil for you. Perhaps you can leave Chris' head if you're there and come back. I'll try to slip a few beef ribs in there!
LMAO!!! Maybe I will ultimately decide that was the best course of action. I dunno. It would be too easy for people to get zero's if they simply submit something they know should otherwise not even be submitted. Then what would we have? A Throwdown with half of the entries that are intended for contention, and half that are purposefully thrown in to get an easy zero?

Please note, I edited the text above that will be included in the new rules to the following. I think this says it better.

The dish must fit the category. Please do not submit something that does not match the category. I will personally oversee the entries, and if an entry does not fit the category in it's most fundamental form as I understand it to be, the entry will be disqualified. There will be no appeals process, however I promise to be as fair as I possibly can in regards to enforcing this rule. So please be mindful of the category when submitting your entry. Feel free to ask questions if you have questions about what would or would not qualify.

Let's not let this get out of control. I really hope my correction doesn't steer this thing towards overcorrection, or lead to too much nitpicking.

I think if someone submits a patty of ground meat or (heavens forbid) ground meat substitute, that will qualify enough to get into the voting thread.

What I would hate to see is someone submit a pulled pork sandwich, or a whole brisket, or something else along those lines. That is why I am putting in this rule, to allow for any mischief to be handled.

Smokey Al was not trying to trick anyone, or do anything mischevious, and I totally understand where he was coming from and originally was going to let this one be decided by the voters. I meant no ill will towards anyone by taking this step.

The reason I did something is because I just know that some joker or jokers out there somewhere could take that case as a reason to start submitting entries that are not really in the category at hand. Call me paranoid, but I think some people like stirring up controversy and this is simply to avoid a clear issue that can be addressed simply.

We just all need to come to grips with it really. I don't think it is out of hand, but then since I came up with the idea I'm biased perhaps.

But it will lead to overcorrection. I now would whole-heartedly agree with Rick. The fun will go out of these contests, especially with "prizes" on the line. There will be no end to the nit-picking and this will no longer be fun. Let the voters decide is the best course of action.

For me, some of the best entries are the ones that seek a novel method of overcoming the obstacle. We had two cases of boneless ribs in the last throwdown. They are outstanding examples, both novel and superb, one even a sandwich! Would this be submitted if the participant had to guess whether to submit this based on an arbitrary definition of what is a rib? Whose loss would that be? What about chops and nuggets? You'd have to personally approve every entry and contend with objections. Your life would be hell!

Personally, if someone submits a pulled pork sandwich or brisket, I don't think they'd receive many votes. One demonstration of this was last contest with two entries of bone in ribeyes or prime rib. These look completely delicious, but last I looked the voters seemed to feel the entrants pushed the envelope a bit too far (or not far enough perhaps). To me this demonstrates the voters can decide these matters.

As far as zeros go. I had no idea this would be such a status symbol -- go figure. I have no problem with lots of members, but will happily disband the club if it is causing this heartache. For me these throwdowns are one of the best parts of this site and I would not like to see them compromised.

First off, I do NOT want the Zero's club to go away. That is part of the fun. Maybe not as big for some as the Throwdowns, but it is a lot of fun for me and others to get that badge of honor.

I am hoping that with this new rule, and a description of what would qualify, we can have both and maintain integrity going forward for both the Throwdowns, and to ensure only worthy zero's earn their zero's.

For example, you mentioned last weeks Beef Ribs. If I provide a basic fundamental description to guide people, I think we could still have had the creative dishes. For example, would this description have prevented those dishes from being made?

To qualify for the Beef Rib Throwdown, your entry must be made using meat from beef ribs that originally had bones in it. The exact cut you use or the nature in which you photograph the meat is up to you so long as there is meat used that matches the description provided.

Would that work? As for getting questions...I get them already, but usually just respond, "The voters will decide". That would still be the most common response I'm sure, since all anyone should need to know is in the rules and the category description.

Thoughts?

Well here is my throwdown entry. First I am avid goose hunter and have tons of goose breast in the freezer so I found a recipe to goose burgers from DU. So after some time in the grinder and some spices I present the goose burger. The burger has all kinds of goodies in it bacon, relish, onion, garlic powder, can o tomatoes. Then enter grill with some zukini and the burgers with some cherry wood. The burger has the normal stuff lettuce, tomato, onion, BUN, and smoked bacon cedar cheese.Finally pictures with some tools of the trade!:becky: Please use the third pictures as my throwdown entry.:clap2:

Last edited:
Man! I wish I had some of that!:hungry: The description alone made me drool.

I am really sorry for causing all these problems.

When I called "burgers" it really seemed like such a simple idea. Let's face it, burgers were not meant to be controversial. They were not meant to change well established institutions. I should have gone with my first instincts and called "puff pastry." I could've been a contender in that one. I'm not sure if I can compete with all these impressive burgers. You guys have outdone yourselves, multitasking grilling with all this drama. :drama:

For me, some of the best entries are the ones that seek a novel method of overcoming the obstacle. We had two cases of boneless ribs in the last throwdown. They are outstanding examples, both novel and superb, one even a sandwich! Would this be submitted if the participant had to guess whether to submit this based on an arbitrary definition of what is a rib? Whose loss would that be? What about chops and nuggets? You'd have to personally approve every entry and contend with objections. Your life would be hell!

I'd like to point out one more thing. I believe you're referring to me. I wasn't sure these would pass and it is why I took a picture of the label of the meat. I'm glad you approve, but it is not surprising coming from a guy who used smoked parsley on a garnish of prime rib for the vegetable throwdown. :thumb:

I hate to see this bickering(funny as it may be) We just don't want anything to bring the throwdowns to a halt. This is one of the best things we love about this forum. I didn't ind making the Zero club and will wear the badge with honor. Keep up the good work Bigabyte.

This is my first time entering a Throwdown so we shall see how it goes. Its a grilled burger with whole grilled onions, thick cut sliced bacon, double cheddar cheese, homemade secret sauce and lettuce on a sesame seed bun. Good luck to all!!

022-1.jpg

Smoked Goose's middle photo just kills me, that goose deke on the left is hilarious.

Back