Mutant Money Muscle

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I don't like posting a lot of entry boxes, but you guys gotta see this. Andy and I were just flipping out over how huge this money muscle was from the pork butt we entered today. :eek: It was farking gigantic!!

Attachments

• pleasant hill bbq contest 2008 015 [640x480].JPG
    pleasant hill bbq contest 2008 015 [640x480].JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 462
  • pleasant hill bbq contest 2008 014 [640x480].JPG
    pleasant hill bbq contest 2008 014 [640x480].JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 463
Good God...You description this afternoon didn't do it justice!!!

That thing was unreal. If you find a butt like that.... buy it... Comp or not... that sucker would be GOOD EATS!!!! IT sliced amazing... and the chunks came from the slice behind it... Some of the best pork I've ever seen.

I saw it first hand and I'm telling you the picture didn't do it justice. Never have I had anyone open a turn-in box on the way to the judging area like these guys did for me today. I about chit a brick! Unreal!

I saw it first hand and I'm telling you the picture didn't do it justice. Never have I had anyone open a turn-in box on the way to the judging area like these guys did for me today. I about chit a brick! Unreal!

Disclaimer - We were over 40 yards away from the judges area.

Disclaimer - We were over 40 yards away from the judges area.

LOL! Still... closed boxes usually don't get opened. That beast just HAD to be shown! I gotta look even more diligently for good pork butts now! Guys, did you find that at Sam's or somewhere else? Just kinda curious if you knew it was large when you bought it.

LOL! Still... closed boxes usually don't get opened. That beast just HAD to be shown! I gotta look even more diligently for good pork butts now! Guys, did you find that at Sam's or somewhere else? Just kinda curious if you knew it was large when you bought it.

After the cooker went out this morning, Andy ran to TNT BBQ in P. Hill to get some pork by the pound. :rolleyes:

I'll bet the table of judges that got that box about fell over backwards!

Way to go everyone! (and especially Michael)

It was nice to meet some of the brethren there today. It's a really nice site for a competition and everyone WAS friendly and helpful and 'pleasant' as advertised!

:)

I'll bet the table of judges that got that box about fell over backwards!

Way to go everyone! (and especially Michael)

It was nice to meet some of the brethren there today. It's a really nice site for a competition and everyone WAS friendly and helpful and 'pleasant' as advertised!

:)
yeah I bet they did.

Sliced?

Yes...how did it score? Now, being a NC guy, I was amused that the pork was sliced and chunked....then had sauce poured over it. Is that how someone should turn in a pork box in MO, KS or other states out that way? Here, I turn in chopped and pulled without the sauce being seen. It's always good to understand how meat should be presented in other areas of the country.

Yes...how did it score? Now, being a NC guy, I was amused that the pork was sliced and chunked....then had sauce poured over it. Is that how someone should turn in a pork box in MO, KS or other states out that way? Here, I turn in chopped and pulled without the sauce being seen. It's always good to understand how meat should be presented in other areas of the country.

As you can see with the one of the scores above at least 1 judge did NOT like it that way. But most judges are ok with not getting pulled.

It gets turned in every which way here. Some people swear by having pulled in the box, some people swear that you must have slices. Some mix with sauce, some naked.

I have my way of doing it, but I KNOW that it is not the only way. I know how some other teams present and they do as well or better with very different presentations.

Would you say the majority of teams turn in boxes similar to what is posted on this thread?

They looked pretty decent and the appearance scores were pretty high. I suspect here those scores would have been in the 6's & 7's......

Seems to me that in the KC area, you need to have sliced pork in the box to do well consistently. I turn in chopped and sliced. I quit using pulled. Never did well with it.

Hey QansasJayhawQ, how the hell did I miss meeting you out here? Did you stick around for awards?

Jeff....about how thick do they like it sliced? What about chicken? Do they like sliced breasts....thighs.......legs.....?

As a judge in this area I rarely see any chicken other than thighs but judged in Lakeland, Fl and someone turned in a nice box of sliced breasts and two legs. I am just wondering if they do the same out that way.

Back