Triming meat

palmtreesmokehouse

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
hey everyone quick question about Triming meat for competitions can I trim the meat a day ahead of the contest?

I believe you can for all orgs.. KCBS, IBCA etc..

according to KCBS regulations you can trim ahead of time. I always trim all four categories one day ahead and repackage them well. What you CAN NOT do is marinate or season the meat until after your meat has been inspected at the competition. If you would like to verify this further, just log into kcbs web site at kcbs.us and they will be more than happy to answer any questions. regards, barbecue nut

according to KCBS regulations you can trim ahead of time. I always trim all four categories one day ahead and repackage them well. What you CAN NOT do is marinate or season the meat until after your meat has been inspected at the competition. If you would like to verify this further, just log into kcbs web site at kcbs.us and they will be more than happy to answer any questions. regards, barbecue nut

I'm curious. Do you vacuum pack your meat after you trim it up? What kind of packaging is acceptable?

Thanks
Donk

I'm curious. Do you vacuum pack your meat after you trim it up? What kind of packaging is acceptable?

Thanks
Donk[/QUOTE

I re-wrap each category in heavy duty plastic wrap and insert it into a heavy duty plastic bag both of which can usually be purchased at your local supermarket. I've never had a problem with it upon inspection at my cookoffs. If you have the equipment to vacuum pack your meat, that would be even better yet.

The advice I was given, was that if you trim before hand, then when you re-package, just keep the labels with the meat. Just as a precaution.

Back