Roll Call. Inside 30 days. NYC BBQ Cook-Off, Staten Island, NY

For the teams that did this event last year, is there anything for friends to do at the event? From their site it doesnt look like there is anything to do, but they charge $12 a person. It seems kind of steep.

There are a few kids rides and games, vendors selling sodas and funnel cake and a few other misc things. and I think the $12 gets you a tasting kit for the People's Choice.

The $12 entry for public is for the PC tasting and this is a fundraiser for the Historic Richmond Town. Isn't a lot to do for the public outside of walking around and tasting pork. It is an interesting old historic park, like a smaller version of Historic Williamsburg.
I am doing the PC just to help this event be a qualifier to the GC for the Royal & Jack. Last year, like Dana said, they gave us all 2 butts. Will use practice pork from next weekend and leftover pork from the comp to feed the public, but don't expect to win unless your name is "Richmond County Pit Bros." If you are doing KCBS, the PC is only $25. I'll take those 2 butts home with me. If I run out of pork, so what?

There was a lot of interest last year due to the filming of BBQ Pitmasters as well. That won't be happening this year.

Hi WOW $12.00 to get in..:doh: I'll think I will pass this one..
Good Luck to all the Brethren members, that will be competing..
DanB
From their site it doesnt look like there is anything to do, but they charge $12 a person. It seems kind of steep.
I feel the same way $12.00 to get in , when I wanted just to go for the comp..
There is always Red/White N Que and Que by the Sea.
DanB

I just spoke with Frank over at Richmondtown and he told me that they wont have as much meat as last year to give out to us for the PC and we should only expect about 10lbs from them.

If you are doing PC's have some extra team members on hand to help. You are responsible for passing out the samples from your set up, and its during the same time as KCBS turn ins. Can get very hectic if you are a 1-2 person team.

I just spoke with Frank over at Richmondtown and he told me that they wont have as much meat as last year to give out to us for the PC and we should only expect about 10lbs from them.

did you happen to mention to him the comments in this thread regarding how the people's choice is handled ?

did you happen to mention to him the comments in this thread regarding how the people's choice is handled ?

No i actually didnt since this is my first contest I have been in contact with him and Eze regarding some items essentially because this is all new to me. I would say that they have been more then helpful with the items i have brought up so i dont know if someone with some experience who can speak better regarding it would want too. Here is his email if anyone wants to run with it.

fsaulle@historicrichmondtown.org

Just a heads up. I spoke with one of the guys from Richmond Town. I just wanted to ensure that I could pre-trim my meats. Just like the KCBS rules indicate. I got confirmation via email that pre-trimming is fine, just no pre-seasoning.

This is fully what I expected, but just wanted to ensure that some meat inspector doesnt have a stick up his rear if I pre-trim.

See you all next Friday.

This is fully what I expected, but just wanted to ensure that some meat inspector doesnt have a stick up his rear if I pre-trim.

If the Muller's are doing the meat inspection, there will be no issues with pre-trimmed meats. I cook 5 or 6 comps a year that they rep and I pre-trim with no issues. They are great reps.

Does anyone know how many teams will be competing?

Was wondering how this year will compare to last.

Latham House BBQ will be there. I spoke with Frank last Thursday and he said they had closed the comp. to new teams because they are up to 39. However, he said several teams are only coming to do PC on Saturday.

As someone who did this comp last year (as Bacanak BBQ) I will say that PC was a disaster for a small team like ours. The turn out is huge which is great for them but awful for the teams because you'll have a line at your spot, a large line, and you'll be trying to prep your 12:30, 1:00 and 1:30 turn in's while people clammer for a small cup of pulled pork. If they'd start the PC at 1:35 I'd consider it but set up the way it is I'm passing this year. Come by my site at 1:35 and I'll give away most of what I've cooked but leave me alone until then.

And yes, Anthony and Richmond County Pit Bros. did win PC last year and the home field advantage obviously had something to do with that BUT Anthony's a good guy and I was glad to see him walk away with the $$$.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there. Let's hope for a warm, dry couple of days.

I started another thread with this but might as well post here as well. Swing by our site friday night for a beer and a burger, all competitors are welcome

sicompetitorflyer.png

Hey Im not competing being that Im still a little wet behind the Ears can I volunteer for any of you teams that may want an extra pair of culinary hands? I can do most anything and Ill stay out of the way......

Mario
Big Papa Smokem BBQ Est. 2011:clap:

speed racer.. you're hired! and Mario, your welcome in our camp too. Look for black trailer and brethren pig. :grin: hard to miss.

Well the new pit finally arrived. Ordered it back on December 2nd. I uncrated it today and put the wheels on. Solid as a tank.

Staten Island will be the first real cook. Will get it seasoned tomorrow and try to do a test cook. Gonna be rough not having a lot of hours with it but I will have my BGE's as well. It will be a fun time anyway. Looking forward to seeing you guy's.

Last edited:
Back