"Other" Category

djswagg

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm cooking in a friendly lake community competition this weekend. (30 teams) There is an "other" category in which I've cooked salmon in the past and done well with. But everyone does salmon, so I'm looking for something else to wow the novice judges with. Any suggestions??

There is already a dessert and side category.

Not beef or pork! I'm never upset when I get bacon-wrapped shrimp. Sausage is good too. If it doesn't have to be meat, a stuffed baked potato is more than welcome!

Are there any specific rules for the "other" category??

If it is after the meat categories some carbohydrates are a welcome switch. Keith

A really good Bloody Mary! Then again, at some of the contests 'round here, we have Margarita's (category) on Friday night and Bloody Mary's on Saturday morning.

:)

Anything shrimp or anything wrapped in bacon. Combine the 2 for a great "other" entry.

These are always a crowd fav. Bacon wrapped chicken thighs filled with Colby jack and jalapenos. Tenderize some boneless thighs so they are nice and evenly flat. Place 4 or 5 strips of thin bacon in a layer in a bowl, lay the chicken over the bacon, add the cheese and a few jalapenos, and then wrap the bacon back over everything (the bowl makes them perfectly round). Smoke for 45 min or so and then finish on a hot grill to crisp the bacon. These are killer but admittedly not my recipe (Diners and Drive Ins- I think). Good luck!

View attachment 83380

View attachment 83381

Last edited:
I've been off the grid for a few days and missed all of the great input. I've decided to go with raspberry/chipotle glazed frog legs smoked with a kiss of cherry. I figured I would step WAAAAY outside my comfort zone. This'll be interesting.

I've been off the grid for a few days and missed all of the great input. I've decided to go with raspberry/chipotle glazed frog legs smoked with a kiss of cherry. I figured I would step WAAAAY outside my comfort zone. This'll be interesting.

sounds good let us know how they turn out. Keith

Back