New to the Smoking World

FISHJR58

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello brethren,

I am brand new to the world of smoking. My dad started smoking a while back and I would like to follow in his footsteps. I was wondering where should I start?? Any suggestions on what type of smoker I should start out with??

Hello brethren,

I am brand new to the world of smoking. My dad started smoking a while back and I would like to follow in his footsteps. I was wondering where should I start?? Any suggestions on what type of smoker I should start out with??
It is possible to start out smoking on a charcoal grill. Many of us use a Weber kettle. Tell us what equipment you have, how many people you are cooking for, and a price range and people can give you advice

Building a UDS is always a great starting point if you are semi-handy and on a budget. Speaking of budget, what are you thinking?

Smoker a kettle, UDS or WSM

Advice...Keep things simple and don't over think things.
Look up " minion method"
Use the google search on the bottom of the page.

Start with a Weber 22" kettle. Probably can find one on Craigslist or at local garage sales for 10-40 dollars.

It is possible to start out smoking on a charcoal grill. Many of us use a Weber kettle. Tell us what equipment you have, how many people you are cooking for, and a price range and people can give you advice

Thats the thing. I dont have any equipment. Price range is anything less than $200. And I just want to get started cooking for my family. Nothing major... Yet...

Go to Walmart and Get Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver, A Turkey Fryer Thermo, a bag of Kingsford Blue Bag Charcoal, a bag of Hickory Chunks (not chips) - walk over to Kitchen stuff and grab 2 16" perforated pizza pans for $6 each, roll over to food and Grab a Pork Butt or Picnic, Hit Spice aisle and grab McCormick GrillMates AppleWood Rub, hit Sauce aisle and grab Sweet Baby Rays and not even Hit $200 mark. Cut and Bend pizza pans like in pics below, rub your Butt and Smoke it.
null_zps948f7a17.jpg

null_zps97526e78.jpg

null_zpsb0a29c71.jpg

null_zps94581960.jpg

Thats the thing. I dont have any equipment. Price range is anything less than $200. And I just want to get started cooking for my family. Nothing major... Yet...
I've used a Weber kettle for over 30 years for grilling and smoking for a family of 4, plus an aditional one for larger groups. Many here start out with a kettle, then move on once the bug really bites.
Here is a post showing some of the setups people use to smoke on a kettle.
Weber Kettle, low-n-slow, let's see your setup
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246

I second/third/fourth/whatever the advice to get a 22.5" Weber Kettle. You can find cheaper kettle grills, but they won't last. Spend the extra money for a Weber. Also, they make an 18" kettle. If you can afford it, get the 22.5"...nobody says they wish they had a smaller cooker. With the Weber, you can grill and smoke. A great way to start and as your addiction grows, it will remain a great tool to have.

Continue to ask questions, we always willing to help. When you get a chance, head over to Cattle Call to introduce yourself.

The Weber OTG really is the best combination of price and versatility. If you don't want the grill functionality and really want to just get into smoking, I would say expand your price range just a little and look at either a Weber Smokey Mountain, PBC or UDS (lots of guys do them for resale on CL or if you are handy you can do one yourself). No matter what direction you take, check CL 1st. This is the time of year for some nice deals. You could probably find a WSM 22.5" within your price range if you don't mind used.

Go to Walmart and Get Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver, A Turkey Fryer Thermo, a bag of Kingsford Blue Bag Charcoal, a bag of Hickory Chunks (not chips) - walk over to Kitchen stuff and grab 2 16" perforated pizza pans for $6 each, roll over to food and Grab a Pork Butt or Picnic, Hit Spice aisle and grab McCormick GrillMates AppleWood Rub, hit Sauce aisle and grab Sweet Baby Rays and not even Hit $200 mark. Cut and Bend pizza pans like in pics below, rub your Butt and Smoke it.

Pretty much got you into smoking right there. Take it and run with it.

Son, welcome aboard! You are in good hands here. The folks here truly fit the definition of Brethren who will give you great advice. I have learned more here in the last two year that the past 20.

All I am going to say on this thread, is don't buy yourself anything six weeks before Christmas. :hungry:

I'm on board. Kettle or UDS in that price range. I saw a used Weber Smokey Mountain on CList once for less than $200, just needed replacement grates. If I didn't have my heart set on stick burning, that's the direction I'd have taken. If you can get a WSM in your budget, I'd go that direction.

Son, welcome aboard! You are in good hands here. The folks here truly fit the definition of Brethren who will give you great advice. I have learned more here in the last two year that the past 20.

All I am going to say on this thread, is don't buy yourself anything six weeks before Christmas. :hungry:

I'm going to vote for this being the best advice on this thread! :wink:

You and your family are about to embark on some fine eating!

Back